Guests request refund

Jayne75
Level 1
Manchester, NH

Guests request refund

I have a couple arrived yesterday, booked for 6 nights. She came out of her bedroom last night to complain. 1st she said someone was walking around outside talking on the phone. I said it’s a condo complex and other people are around. Then she asked for salt to soothe her throat, something in my house is irritating. Then she asked me to turn my tv off. They were gone all day today and now say they booked a new place and want a refund. They said the double bed is too small, they have a queen at home. I want to tell them they have to contact Airbnb for a refund, but I don’t want a bad review. Like my 5 star rating.

2 Replies 2
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Jayne75 

to be able to get any refund they have to cancel their reservation first. Then they will automatically be refunded according to your cancelation policy.

If you want to refund them more then they have to send you / or you have to send them booking alteration request where their reservation will be shortened from 6 nights to 2 nights. You can set more refund manually if you want to.

If you have moderate or strict cancelation policy then you can offer to refund them for nights you will be able to rebook.

You should also explain to them that they have chosen to book your place according to your description and photos. They could see it is apartment complex and they could see the size of the bed up front. It is not your fault if they didn't read the listing before booking and assumed something different.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Jayne75 

Sorry to hear about your guests @Jayne75 

I agree with @Branka-and-Silvia0  say you are sorry that they have decided not to stay but that your place is as described in your listing. And that if amenities like having a queen bed was important for them, then they should have looked for a listing that provided this.

Regardless of whether you refund them or not, they can still provide you with a bad review. Remember you will have an opportunity to review these guests too, so can be honest about your experience.

Airbnb will refund the guest in line with your cancellation policy, if they are not entitled to a refund, you can say to the guest if once they cancel you get a replacement booking you will consider an additional  refund.