Guests throwing parties

Jessica1378
Level 2
Charlotte, NC

Guests throwing parties

Hi everyone!  I was hoping to get some advice on guests throwing parties, despite the house rules. I just listed my place on air bnb and LITERALLY my first guest broke this house rule.

I will take some responsibility - looking back, there was definitely a red flag. She lived in the city she was staying.

Anyways, the house wasn't destroyed, at all. In fact, it was left in almost perfect condition, with the exception of the couch pillows being completely re-arranged (someone obviously slept on the couch) and family-sized drink mixers in the fridge. I decided to ask the guy that lives above me if there was a party. He stated that they definitely threw down, but they weren't very disruptive and everyone left around 12am. While it absolultely could be worse, does anyone have any advice for a newbie on how to prevent parties?

I did reach out to this girl telling her that I appreciated the condition she left the house but I was concerned about the party that was held and that that was not something that was communicated or approved beforehand and did violate the house rules. She kept apologizing, telling me she didn't read the house rules and to please apologize to my neighbors. She admitted that there were about 10-15 people there and they were celebrating a birthday.

I'm just finding myself questioning if this is a good idea since my VERY FIRST guest threw a party. I live in a condo building with neighbors above and to the side and can't have people throwing parties and disrupting their lives.

5 Replies 5
Ava30
Level 10
Eureka, CA

Hi @Jessica1378 , The simple answers are:

1. GET CAMERAS! a doorbell camera so you can see who enters and stop a party before it begins. Make it a House Rule that if the lens is covered or the camera tampered with it instant eviction with NO Refund! (not positive that ABB will support the no refund, but it is a good deterrent) If you have any other entry areas, you want a camera there as well. Make sure you declare them in your listing. Outside cameras only. 

2. NO Locals if at all possible. Instant Book is the way most of them make is past vetting. Until you have some good guests through your place you might want to turn it off if you have it on.

3. Unless you are next to a transportation hub, increase your stay minimum to 2 nights or more. this great decreases your chance of getting people that are just looking for a place to throw a party. 

I hope this helps. In the long run you will find that you have more good guests than problem guests. Just sucks when the first one is a rule breaker. I had it happen as well. But it has been pretty awesome for the most part since then. Good Luck!

Ava30
Level 10
Eureka, CA

One more thing, your price is pretty low for such a nice place. Is that the norm for your area? 

@Ava30 I went, for the most part, with the smart pricing option, but increased the minimum price. I was going to ask if I should raise the price as well? I don't want it to be too expensive, but I feel like if I increase the price, it may bring more "mature" guests. 

Raise the price,  ABB's tool IMO is at least 25% too low in most circumstances.   Ditto what others have said;  cameras at every entrance are a must.   I always ask and try to verify that they *have read the House Rules*;  may threads here address that.

As for horror stories:   one of my early guests was a local from Chicago who was playing a gig nearby;   after keeping me up one night by not arriving (he was in the ER;  he submitted his ER docs indicating he was shopping ERs for opiates),  I discovered his song from a few years back,  about how to shop ERs for opiates.

You learn how to detect that sort of thing and "dodge the bullets ...",  but I recommend high caution out of the gate.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jessica1378  Suggestions:

Set minimum nights to 2.

Turn off Instant Book until you have more experience and understand how to vet renters. They will have to send you Booking Requests so you can message with them to get a "feel" for them ad their reasons for booking and ask them questions to set your mind at ease. Make sure to ascertain if they have thoroughly read your listing description, House Rules, and Max. number of guests.

Don't use Smart pricing or Price tips. Look at comparable accomodation in your area and price accordingly.

Reiterate House Rules when answering a booking Request or Inquiry.

Enlist the help of a friendly neighbor to call you if anything seems amiss.

Under House Rules and Other things to note, write "Only booked and paid-for guests are allowed on the property. No exceptions"

Jessica, this booking was actually a blessing in disguise. You had a situation you didn't anticipate or want, yet nothing bad happened and the guest, while she certainly was remiss in not reading the House Rules, was apologetic and honest about what had happened. So you got a wake-up call right off the bat as a host, without having your place trashed, the neighbors irate, or experiencing something that made you feel personally unsafe and now you are aware and are informing yourself as to how to prevent such things in the future. Happy hosting!