Guidance on potential scam

Riley18
Level 1
Leicester, United Kingdom

Guidance on potential scam

Hi, my friends and I are looking to book a house in Amsterdam and have found this one. https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/33159430?wl_source=list&wl_id=400078086&role=wishlist_owner&adults=1&...

Due to us already having an attempted scam performed on us we are weary about every listing we come across. This listing appears to be legitimate however the only red flag is the lack of reviews from the host. Can someone please provide some guidance as to whether this is legitimate or not.

Thanks,

Riley.

1 Reply 1
Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Riley18 I hope you are well!

It looks fine- if it's a new host, everyone has to start somewhere with their 1st guest.

Have you already sent a message through the contact host button?

Have a chat with the host and see how it feels- he says in his listing he uses someone called Loubna to do all his comms/cleaning etc, but she isn't listed as a co-host, that's the main thing I noticed. Perhaps frame your question around who will be looking after you if you book!

The way scams often work is hosts have a "genuine" listing on the platform but then direct you offline or elsewhere to make a payment, or they get you onto a fake website etc, fully knowing you're not protected by Airbnb.

As long as you're making your payments through the Airbnb website you're protected in case of issues.

Chat with the host and see how it feels!

Best wishes

Paul 🙂