Has anyone discovered that they are hosting a criminal?

Carol0
Level 3
Seattle, WA

Has anyone discovered that they are hosting a criminal?

I kicked out a guest a few weeks ago after he came home so drunk he couldn't remember to use the key I gave him to the house -- he rang the front doorbell incoherent at 2am instead. I never did see my review of him..it would've been his first. I told AirBnB about him and told him he would have to leave - especially after I did a search on his full name and realized he had one of those mug shots posted up of him for trying to deal cocaine out of his car at a rock concert.  As a single female running an AirBnB out of her own house - I worry about safety more than the average.  Is AirBnB working on getting criminal background checks done as part of the verification process? And let's face it - they should probably be done on hosts as well.

4 Replies 4
Jessa0
Level 10
Ngorongoro, Tanzania

The Paris attacks highlighted why rental websites may have a security leak in their system - a listing had been booked by a terrorist on a competitor site. I think (I'm not sure) in Europe when hotels scan your passport it is vetted by an interpol system where anyone on the run is in, and airbnb could perhaps hook itself up to that system in Europe. Most countries have privacy laws that make it impossible for a private company to access their police records, and it would be insanely expensive and people move around a lot, you can't search all the police data bases on earth. What would be sensible would be security scans to prevent criminals actively on the run from hiding at airbnbs because that happens, recently read a story on one of the community groups, but for that to work there would need to be a global system for all hotels and rental sites where passports are vetted through international wanted criminals lists. Overall airbnb is a trust based system and community driven feedback on guest behavior is our support line and this community aspect of it all may just be safer than hotels.

Hotels in Europe don't "vet" passports. In some countries they may look at it, in others they can't. In France only police and some other fonctionnaries are entitled to control a passport - we will see if that changes. But technically that would be very hard to do and who would train staff for small hotels?

Airbnb can check passports, but they do not do it themselves, they give it to a private subcontractor. European data should not be sent overseas - it was possible under the safe harbor agreement but that got thrown out by the European court in October.

Even living in Paris, I still think it less likely to host a terrorist then some unsatisfied employe of a private company I know nothing about and did not choose takes my identity information and commits some kind of fraud with it or sells it for whatever purpose the buyer has in mind. Or they get hacked.

It's a global business now, you have to keep in mind that one country's reasonable security may be another country's nightmare of a police state.

As for hosting people living from fraud, that's usually not dangerous, if you are not the intended victim. I would be pretty annoyed about a drug dealer though. Drunk would be bad, but I'd probably go for a warning first and not throw him out on the spot. - I did not get that fully: did you mean that you threw him out drunk into the night? That seems quite dangerous to do and could result in liability if he comes to harm.

No, I let him stay until he woke up. Then he tried to bribe me to stay longer with cash but I refused. Then he yelled "**bleep** you!" as he left. hahahhaha!

Florian-and-Theresa0
Level 10
Mintraching, Germany

A fellow host just told me a few days a similar story but this guest behaved quite finde. She only googled him because he was so nice. She was really shocked when she found out he was finally convicted for fraud. But he still was a very nice, friendly and considerate guest.

I absolutely agree with @Jessa0 that's why I think we only should judge over the behaviour as a guest not over (wrong) decisions in life.