Has anyone lost bookings because of a technical glitch in the Airbnb system?

Sherry126
Level 3
Vancouver, Canada

Has anyone lost bookings because of a technical glitch in the Airbnb system?

Hello Airbnb'ers,

I have had an issue with my listing not showing up in any of the searches. I tried in several different search engines and also had friends try it. I only noticed as in the past two years I've been fully booked for August but noticed there was a two-week window that was empty. When I contacted Airbnb they told me they would look into it and after 3 calls and 7 days, I insisted to speak to a supervisor when they told me it would be another two days before they got back to me. I then spoke to a compassionate support supervisor who after an hour explaining the situation said she would call me back (the last three people also said this but did not). 30 minutes later she did in fact call back and found the problem.

There was a section of the website where it was checked to not allow bookings on all of the days of the week. I have NEVER seen this on the site before and certainly did not tick those boxes. Once they were unticked I got a booking for two nights but have not had any since. Already I've lost over $1100  in bookings at my busiest time of the year. I was told that Anisha would call me back after checking to see what could be done to compensate me for this glitch in the system. She did not call back. The support ticket was closed. Her messages have since been deleted but fortunately, I kept screenshots of them.

When I called back today 3 days after she said she would call I spent another hour on the phone with JR who said there was an email offer sent to me for a $100 Airbnb voucher. I told him that this was an offensive offer and he agreed that if he was offered such a poor offer he would likewise be offended.  

JR came back to tell me that they could only offer $200 as he has not heard back from the technology team that it was a tech glitch even though I told him his support supervisor discovered the issue. On top of the income loss, I've been on the phone with them for almost 5 hours collectively on this issue. They keep saying they will get back and after days of not hearing from them I call and have to start over again. 

Has anyone had any success with this kind of issue or advice on how to deal with holding Airbnb accountable for the glitch in the system?

Thank you,

Sherry

3 Replies 3
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Sherry126 

The Terms of Service mention Airbnb is not accepting liability when it comes to lost profits.

You can read them all here in section 17:

https://www.airbnb.com/terms

I noticed you have two listings, but only one ("peacefull room") is in the search system:

https://www.airbnb.com/s/homes?host_id=5452811&map_toggle=true

(The other listing is not in the search system because it has no dates available to book).

Best regards,

Emiel

Thank you Emiel, this is what I've been trying to get sorted. My other listing is not showing up despite Airbnb telling me it is. There are only 3 more nights to book and it has been empty for the last week and a half except for two nights when they managed to get it working. 

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Sherry126 

The link i provided should normally show your both listings. This is something an Airbnb rep. can check too. But if a listing has no availabe dates to book, it will not show up in this link (so not show up in the search system) .

The only thing you could check yourself in this "hidden" listing is the "booking window setting" (under menu "availibility").: It should NOT be set to:  "dates not available by default".

Also you could try to manually open dates in the calender.

If nothing helps, you can try to duplicate the failing  listing (by using the duplicate funktion) and see if the duplicated listing will work as normal.

Best regards,

Emiel