Hello guys

Raphael321
Level 2
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

Hello guys

Please can anyone in the UK confirm this issue.

Is it possible for someone in the UK to transfer money to my uae account with him sending me transfer successful then he goes back to cancel the transaction a day after???

I'm asking because the guy almost got me scammed with the screenshots

7 Replies 7
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Raphael321 I have always been told by my bank that once a bank-bank transfer goes through it is irreversible unless it was sent to the wrong account by mistake and then it still needs the recipient to agree to reverse it. 

It sounds like, in your case, that the scammer was sending edited screenshots to prove a transfer rather than you checking direct with your bank.

By the way, if these transfers have anything to do with Airbnb then you are likely to get suspended as payments outside Airbnb are not allowed.

Raphael321
Level 2

Like I said he had checked out, I'm glad I listened to my wife who asked me not to give him 1000aed he requested until his said transfer reflects in my account before I can send him any cash. Cos he was calling from Dubai but my space is in abu dhabi. Anyways I'm happy I listened to my wife. Thanks for your time

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Why was an Airbnb guest transferring money directly to you @Raphael321 

As you know all payments should go through Airbnb.

Raphael321
Level 2

This wasn't about his reservation as he had checked out, he claimed he needed money urgently for his business here in uae but couldn't get it from his UK account. Asked for my details so I could help give him cash. Though I declined because he had checked out and insisted if I got the money he claimed to have sent, then I'd withdraw and send to him. Anyways I needed answers not to be questioned about this.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Raphael321 given that he didn't have your bank details it is hard to see how you could ever receive money. In this situation I would be more worried about money laundering rules than anything else.

Raphael321
Level 2

I actually gave him the details when he asked at first. Before it now sounded like he couldn't wait for his money to reflect in my account before I sent him mine.... I appreciate your help... Will be careful with other guests going forward 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Raphael321 "Anyways I needed answers not to be questioned about this."

Others usually need to understand what took place, if they find it unclear, in order to give a suitable answer.