Homelessness efforts?

Homelessness efforts?

Does airbnb have any plans to facilitate efforts to mitigate homelessness? Couldn't the platform be used to screen and host homeless people, perhaps have the costs covered by municipal dollars? like hotel vouchers. Might be worthwhile for airbnb to be seen as part of the solution, not part of the problem?  

29 Replies 29
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

You don't need Airbnb and probably they are not best placed.

It would be much better if they partnered with local homeless/refugee charities.

And how do homeless people connect with these charities?

AirBnB is ideally place to provide that connection.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Airbnb is not ideally placed to connect homeless people with hosts willing to offer them a temp home @Nick2105 

Local homeless charities who know their homeless communities and understand how to assess someone on the streets to understand what support they need and to ensure they are safe to be in someone's home are best placed to do that.

Airbnb has neither the skills or infrastructure to support such a service .

That's why I suggested in an earlier post in this thread that they partner with local homeless charities to connect interested hosts with people in need of a home.

of course there's nothing to stop you working with a local homeless charity directly - that's what I do 

I am currently working on a group project and am intrigued on how you are able to write the rental cost off as a complimentary stay (lost income). Could you explain?

Aram2
Level 1
Cambridge, MA

This is a great idea, and if the homeowner donated the room, then they could get a tax break (at least in the US - not sure about other countries).  Airbnb may want to do it under a different name to keep it separate from their normal brand.  One opportunity for a nonprofit (perhaps a nonprofit arm of Airbnb) would be to subsidize these stays by providing insurance to the homeowner, handling logistics and doing some level of vetting.  There will be reactions like Carol's, which are important to keep in mind.  There are real risks since homeless people suffer high rates of mental illness, and we shouldn't downplay these.  Also some neighbors will be hostile. But yes in general this is an area where lots of needless suffering could be reduced at very little cost.

However, I think not for free, and not with zero effort.  I think someone will have to start a nonprofit to work on this, and it will take some money.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I see vetted mentioned, not sure what this means....

David
Joanna85
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

YIKES.....!

Look, I live in a really transcient town.  I"ve had several guests over this summer who were 'in between' places.  Homeless.  Displaced couples.  It is not a fun experience.  I had to call the police once even.  I even turned my IB so the guests have to have a review first or ask me perission so I could vet them myself and I had not yet had to do that. Since I have changed my IB, I have not had any 'displaced' people stay.   You don't want that element in your home.  You open yourself up to:  violence, theft, bed bugs, the guest being evicted (which is not an immediate process), and damage to your home.  It's just not a good idea.  I"m all for helping finding a solution to homelessness, but they ramifications of those types of people in my home are just simply too costly for me.

Jake81
Level 2
Bellingham, WA

I realize this post is quite old, but is anyone able to see this comment? If so, I would love to connect with everyone in favor of this idea! As someone currently working with homeless people, I think it’s absolutely stunning how little this billion-dollar company is doing. I’m not saying everybody should help homeless people. I’m saying we should build a network of those who are willing to try. Airbnb even answers some concerns elsewhere on their site:

“Accidents are rare on Airbnb, but just in case, we’ve got your back. Our Host Guarantee provides up to $1,000,000 of coverage in case property damage occurs, and our Host Protection Insurance provides liability coverage for up to $1,000,000, for every listing. We also offer 24/7 host support—because your peace of mind is priceless.”

Trouble is the Host Guarantee is smoke and mirrors.

David

Hi I am Michael from Adelaide in South Australia and we are new to Airbnb only been

hosting for about 3 weeks.

I think it is entirely appropriate for Airbnb who are operating in the field of housing to

engage themselves in some sort of community initiative for homeless people.

I am not sure if hosting homeless people will work (I currently volunteer in this field)

but surely we can spare I don’t know .5% of our earnings to help these people and

do something more worthwhile and permanent.

Airbnb could offer $ for $....they could probably write it off on their tax.

How do the program work in my state and city, for people, who are trying to find work and a place to stay.

Which is Birmingham, Alabama. because some of the people have a income. But the apartments are more than their income a month. and some have lost their jobs and looking for work.

I had an apartment until Dorian I am disabled but was making it. Now my apartment has been condemned from the hurricane. Red Cross did what they could, but now the 1st my service dog and myself will be living in my van. Every resource exhausted. Even contacted my mayor as well as local news, just had back surgery as well,  but there is no help or love for me. So those who say they shouldn't HELP the homeless. Please try and stay in a van on a 90° day. With no way to shower or cook, not to mention use a bathroom in the middle of the night. Please think before you say hurtful things, just because your well off. Thank you,  for allowing me a moment on the soap box.

Tahlia5
Level 2
Nedlands, Australia

In Australia there is a huge homeless issue for older women and single mothers. In fact, the numbers have doubled in the last few years. My son and I are some of these people who have been displaced by AirBNB rentals. Spare rooms and local rental properties sit empty, only being rented for short periods of time.

Did you know that there are twice as many AirBNB's and holiday homes in Australia than there are homeless people.

When we were parked up one day looking at empty homes my son asked me why they were empty and why we couldn't live in them. How do you tell a ten year old that your entire weekly income wouldn't even cover three nights in in a real house? 

So, if anyone is still reading this thread and has a good solution, I would love to know!

Beth166
Level 2
Olympia, WA

What I have been wanting to do is create a way for Airbnb hosts to donate a part of their profits to local organizations that provide housing or help houseless individuals get housing.  Housing is a huge problem in my area, and I personally have had some feelings about the fact that I am using my extra space as an Airbnb rather than housing someone long-term, but at the same time, our space is basically in our house and we use it sometimes for non-business purposes and want to be able to do that.  In addition, of course, Airbnb has a bad reputation in many communities due to the fact that it takes available housing stock out of circulation.  Anyone know how I might get something like that started where I live?  

Beth May (she/her)