Host entering property unannounced?

Elena1353
Level 2
Austin, TX

Host entering property unannounced?

I'm staying in a private room in a home with 7 other guests. About half of us are staying long-term through Airbnb and the other half arranged their stay through craigslist. The host effectively serves as a landlord and does not live in the home. This is one of a few properties he manages. 

I've been at the home for about two weeks and was somewhat shocked to receive a message from him through Airbnb while I was at work addressed to everyone in the home. He told us we need to take out the trash and that dishes should not be left in the sink (I think some guests left a plate or two behind from their breakfast before work).

I was pretty turned off by this. It's a place with 8 people - I keep to myself and am rarely home. I'm kind of uncomfortable with the idea that not only will he stop by unannounced, but will send pretty rude messages policing our behavior in the space. I understand wanting to protect his property, but I'm a neat freak and that place is in no way trashed. 

I wanted to get some insight into Airbnb's policies about hosts showing up to properties without warning? I'm not sure if he entered our private rooms. It's illegal for landlords to enter the property unannounced, and while I know a long-term airbnb stay is not an official lease, there must be some kind of policies protecting guests from hosts traipsing through whenever they want and essentially commanding us to clean up. The common spaces in the home are shared between guests, so I wonder if those areas are considered fair game for him?

1 Reply 1
Lynne142
Level 2
Addison, ME

In our state, short term rentals are like hotel stays.  Owners may enter the property with no prior notice.  Long-term rentals would require 24 hour notice.  I'm not sure you could make the case for being a long term rental without a lease though.