Host has deactivated account / cannot use resolution center / chargeback?

Kenneth12
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Host has deactivated account / cannot use resolution center / chargeback?

Host has deactivated their account (or it has been deactivated) -- Resolution Center will not allow claim.

Anyone know how ABB handles this,  what the options are?   Support is not being being very responsive so far ...  what happens if I as a guest create a chargeback?

(For those who follow:  this is the bad soap opera stay from a bit over a month ago:  looks like the host didn't learn and two of the following guests left 1.0s / left early ...  evidently the ceiling in the bedroom may have fallen in by then ... )

8 Replies 8
Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

Even if the host account wasn’t closed, does RC allow claims for stays from over a month ago?  I know that wouldn’t work for a host claim. Is it different for a guest claim?

It's now 60 days to use the Resolution Center.   (I gave the guy almost every chance,  and like to give hosts almost every chance,  but there seems to have been who-knows-what wrong and I suspect he had two claims after mine,  neither of which were anywhere as generous as mine-- the latest review really does say the bedroom ceiling was falling in due to weather,  which coulda been possible).

ABB appears to be engaging in CYA and not wanting to put out more money etc,  but after 2 hours of haggling with them today I feel a bit like I'm stabbed in the back for being nice to and trying to mentor a host etc;   the boilerplate explanations and "this is final" brush-off are always fun.

Anyone know what happens if I just chargeback?   Else...   the run-around from so-called CS gets old ...  and I suspect a voicemail to ABB's General Counsel on Monday morning might get somewhere (and/or some reps fired).

@Kenneth12   trying to think of what this even means...

What is the Resolution Center?

The Resolution Center lets you request or send money for things related to your Airbnb trip. To open a refund or payment request, go to www.airbnb.com/resolutions.

You have up to 60 days after your reservation's checkout date to submit a Resolution Center request for non-security deposit related issues.

If you want to make a claim on your security deposit, you'll need to submit your request to the Resolution Center within 14 days of your guest’s checkout date or before the next guest checks in, whichever is earlier.

So, for a GUEST: if you think the Host owes you some money for a problem, you have 60 days??

For a HOST: if perhaps the Guest owes you money for WHAT (what would not fall under the security deposit?????), postage for mailing something is the only thing that comes to mind.... you now have 60 days??

You have 60 days (unless the host blocks you,  which actually appears to be what happened here!) as a guest.   My limited experience (1-2 claims) is that anything goes,  as ABB CS is simply not consistent.

What is not security deposit related?  Well,   14 days is quite an extension from 24 hours or whatever the previous deadline was ... and ABB CS is never consistent (seems to be the quick take of whomever you get) but lessee:

-- ABB CS has accepted non-security deposit claims *against me*  (the host with rotten floorboards who then submitted cost of repair),  outside 24 hours at least
-- stay an extra day?    extra guest?   that sort of thing
-- (would you charge a guest postage etc for leaving .... lessee .. slippers?  $1400 new iPhone...)
-- ???   can't think of any more off the top of my head

@Kenneth12 I haven't been able to make the block function work for months now... it's a wonder that this host (Anil?? yes) who can't bother to say any more than "all good" for any review manages to block people but ABB is weird

@Kelly149 
The host in question is still visible / bookable by my travel companion,  and his listing rating is at 2.4.   Two most recent reviews in translation:

"At first sight the location looks good, but as soon as you enter the garden there is a real lack of maintenance. In the apartment the floor is dirty, a lot of moisture in the bathroom, no space to shower (just a shower head), and in the room half of the ceiling collapsed on the bed at because of inclement weather. It is not normal."

"The accommodation is unsanitary, and very insecure, especially in the bathroom where the shower is not defined and a washing machine is connected, cleanliness do not even talk about it. The advertisement is misleading and not in conformity with the accommodation: the exterior photo of the house does not correspond to this one. The lack of amenities is not the least: there are not three beds, only a double bed and a sofa without a blanket. Also there is no heating in the accommodation nor hot water in the shower. The ceiling of the room had just been redone very coarse in the day we arrived and the dust was not made. We were very disappointed and left after the first night."

I think both of those are a bit harsh and a bit inaccurate.  They also cover some of the many problems. From my experience,   the host did not respond well to problems so I can see the frustration--  after we were there,   he also seems to have put up a photo of the house next door whose address he listed,  etc.,   which lowered my opinion a bit (so did listing 3 beds ... I can't imagine why he did that ...)

Re; blocking:  I just had a 0-feedback potential guest who sent messages for 2 hours without answering my screener questions,  wanted check-in instructions without booking,  blocked-- you have to be a little aggressive (report scam,  choose something....)

Re:  Anil:  he is running a commercial operation FWIW;  I probably could have figured that out by looking at listings and reading all 100 reviews before there was a problem;   his contact was good,  but not so good on other critical things;   some paint and new linens and effort to understand guest needs could make him a superhost.

@Kelly149 :  WRT block,  I looked again:  flag,  choose "I think ... is scamming me,"   choose closest option,  "block" is available on the next screen (modal dialogue) -- at least from here.

@Kenneth12 maybe there is a limit to the number of times this works, or some other reason but this process for me goes thru all the steps, but no longer offers up the 'would you also like to block xxxxx?'