Host increases price after I enquired?

Alistair45
Level 1
Doncaster, United Kingdom

Host increases price after I enquired?

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice. We spotted a great flat to stay last night and had been looking at prices carefully all week, then we made enquiry about some of the facilities. Now when it comes to booking the price has increased nearly 20%. (see Screenshots below of the Wishlist of properties from yesterday to today, £7 a night jump) Could anyone explain why?

I have asked the host why, I've heard there might be something like dynamic pricing that determines the price based on number of enquiries, does that even exist?

I have also checked the prices on some other properties we were looking at, no change. So it's nothing to do with exchange rate or service charges not being applied.

Thank you

Price.JPG

9 Replies 9
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Maybe the host uses Airbnb dynamic pricing or another airbnb management software pricing.

More people will have booked in the 24 hours you have been booking so fewer places will be available and prices go up for hosts using dynamic pricing,.

If you see something you like @Alistair45 at a price you can afford, it's always best to book it then and there.

Only you can decide whether you like this place enough at the increased price or whether you want to go with one of the other places you have seen, where prices haven't increased.

Alistair45
Level 1

I find it incredibly coincidental that the price was the same all week, then less than 12hours after I sent the message the price goes up. This is just under 12 months in advance too.

I guess I'll know now in future to book and then message with any questions, because essentially that one enquiry cost me £68 to make. We probably wont be booking this place if that's how the host is going to conduct business. Just awaiting a reply.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

>>I guess I'll know now in future to book and then message with any questions, because essentially that one enquiry cost me £68 to make<<

Unless I'm mistaken or mis-reading this, @Alistair45, it hasn't 'cost' you anything, because you haven't paid up? 

Alistair45
Level 1

Correct is hasn't directly cost me anything. But if AirBnb operates on a system that fluxuates pricing based on enquiries then my messages therefore have a monetary value assigned to them. Thats how I see it anyway, as someone who is trying to travel on a budget. All semantics I guess, but I'll know in future to avoid triggering the system.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

It doesn't necessarily have to be Airbnb here as the host could be signed up to an external pricing tool. All that said, you probably just 'reminded' the host they'd forgotten to raise their price for certain dates.

It isn't the norm, but there are a few iffy hosts out there.

Good luck with finding somewhere suitable.

Cees14
Level 2
Montfoort, Netherlands

Hi,

Same thing here, I've booked a place [houses 6 persons] in France, it's accepted @ price x.

after this I get a request to send an larger amount because:

[badly translated French]

- Since this accommodation is new, classified 4 stars, exceptionally

- And because you are only 2 people.

The total price is raised a 100euros, without a proper explenation from the host.

I've booked a large amount of houses via AirBNB, but this one leaves me baffled.

All recommendations welcome.

TIA

Cees

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Alistair45 

Making enquiires cost your host time as well, may be the next time you should just book and before you do read the listing information in its entiriety ninty nine times out of one hundred they cover guest questions.

The price on the map is an average price and becuase weekend are more popular, Host charge more so that could be the reason for the price fluctation.

I sent an inquiry about place asking 3000$/night (it’s a huge cottage), and a day later, I had a friend inquire about possibly lowering ask price on my behalf… prior to my friend sending his inquiry the price was still 3000$.  But 5 mins after he sent the inquiry, I got an invite to book from the host, but the price is now up by 10% to $3333.  So book first then inquire…

James2743
Level 9
Norfolk, United Kingdom

I used to use a dynamic pricing service. It updated all of my prices at midnight every day. Sounds like that happened here.