Host insists on communicating outside of app

Answered!
Bettyjo0
Level 1
Indianapolis, IN

Host insists on communicating outside of app

Hi - I booked with a host last week and now he has asked me for my email to send me check-in details.  I'm not comfortable sharing my email and it is strongly discouraged anyway.  I told him I would rather not, but he is still insisting.  What should I do??

1 Best Answer
Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Bettyjo0  Cut and paste the AirBnB Policy below into the messaging system and explain you are not comfortable giving out personal details. He can use the AirBnB email address assigned to you through the reservation. 

Pay and communicate on Airbnb

Paying or communicating outside Airbnb makes it harder for us to protect your information and puts you at greater risk of fraud and other security issues. That's why we prohibit paying for a reservation outside our website in our Terms of Service and strongly encourage you to communicate using our messaging system.

Use our messaging system before a booking to confirm details about specific amenities, ask whether other people share the same space, discuss house rules, and talk about the neighborhood. After booking, use it to discuss check-in details.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/241/i-m-a-guest--what-are-some-safety-tips-i-can-follow

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7
Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Bettyjo0  Cut and paste the AirBnB Policy below into the messaging system and explain you are not comfortable giving out personal details. He can use the AirBnB email address assigned to you through the reservation. 

Pay and communicate on Airbnb

Paying or communicating outside Airbnb makes it harder for us to protect your information and puts you at greater risk of fraud and other security issues. That's why we prohibit paying for a reservation outside our website in our Terms of Service and strongly encourage you to communicate using our messaging system.

Use our messaging system before a booking to confirm details about specific amenities, ask whether other people share the same space, discuss house rules, and talk about the neighborhood. After booking, use it to discuss check-in details.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/241/i-m-a-guest--what-are-some-safety-tips-i-can-follow

@Letti0, thanks so much -- great advice.  I didn't realize there was a masked email until I looked more closely now.  I sent him that, but didn't provide the policy yet...I hate to start a stay on a negative note unless I have to.  🙂  Really appreciate your time!

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thank you @Letti0 for sharing this with @Bettyjo0!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

If the check in info is in pdf or other document format then the host really must use email (can’t send attachments thru the app/message thread). But the abb emails work fine for this purpose 

i may use a guests “real” email & the abb email bc sometimes guests aren’t paying attention to whatever email address they used when they setup their account. 

Nimrod5
Level 2
Nairobi, Kenya

hello evrything is ussually correct as listed by airbnb 

Nimrod5
Level 2
Nairobi, Kenya

Hellow we list everything on normal truth basis as airbnb requestst us to do. 

Nimrod5
Level 2
Nairobi, Kenya

Why should airbnb bring us together with all the 1 billion insurance cover then a guest dares want us to communicate outside airbnb