Host is asking us to load our laundry

Stephenie3
Level 3
Toronto, Canada

Host is asking us to load our laundry

When we booked we were charged a $30 cleaning fee. I just received the checkout details from the host for tomorrow and in it he asks us to load and start the dishwasher (we didn't eat here so that's not an issue) and load and start the laundry.

We were two people. One in a bed and one on an air mattress. So that's two sets of sheets, two sets of pillowcases, two duvets, two towels, one floor mat, one hand towel and one face cloth. The laundry is two different colours (grey and white). This is in a condo and the machine is small. Plus you don't mix whites and greys.

There was no information on the listing and when we booked that we'd be expected to load and run a dishwasher and load and run a washing machine. It seems odd to me to charge a $30 cleaning fee and also not say in the post that you're expected to do the laundry.

I should note that no one lives here. It's a condo that is solely used for AirBnB rentals. They have cleaners that come anywhere between 11 am and 4 pm between when people check-out and the next guests check-in.

Edit: I just heard back from the host's assistant. She said it is not mandatory and she will modify the language on the check-out details to reflect that it's not mandatory.

35 Replies 35

@Emilia42 There is absolutely nothing wrong with "starting a load". In fact I think it is a very considerate and nice thing to do. But I don't think it is okay to expect the guests to do so without telling them before they choose to book. 

@Emilia42  It wouldn't be a big deal depending on the situation. When I go to Canada every summer, the only flights back require me getting a taxi to the airport at 6AM. Which means I set my alarm for 4:30AM so I have time to shower, pack up last minute stuff and have a coffee and something to eat. No way would I want to have to strip the bed, gather up towels and start a wash. And I'd never expect my guests to do so, no matter what time they left. I consider it part and parcel of hosting.

@Emilia42  I actually have a framed sign above the washer and dryer that asks the guest to please not wash our linens or towels. If they require more, just let us know. Yet I still get people who will wash them when they stain them and they end up setting in the stains. It's very frustrating. 

Rachel0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Stephenie3 I allow guests to use my washing machine for their own laundry but only if they are staying for at least 4 nights.  I do not have a dryer but if the weather is good they can hang it up in the garden and if the weather is not good they can use the dryer in the laundrette which is a one minute walk away.  I would be FURIOUS if anyone were to try to use the washing machine without my permission, it was not a cheap machine and if it got broken I would be stumped.  Like many others have said before in other, similar posts, I prefer to strip the bed myself so that I can see if there are any stains that need treating.  

Henry and I actually DON'T want guests doing the laundry for our guest towels and sheets.

We need to make sure stains, if any, are treated appropriately, correct amount of detergent is put in according to size of the load and wash cycle is set properly. 

We let guests staying longer than 1 week use the washer for their personal clothes, 1 load per week. We show them how to load and set the washer, and also have step by step instructions posted on the wall next to the washer. Most Korean homes don't have dryers - we use drying racks to air dry everything 🙂

There is also a 24hr laundromat just 3~4 mins from my house. I checked the prices and they charge about $3~5 to wash a load and $5~6 for a 1.5hr dry cycle. 

Kathryn-and-Paul0
Level 8
Lower Hutt, New Zealand

It seems to be alot of fuss over being asked to load a machine and press a button. The original hosts (or their assistant) has said she would change the wording and it was not compulsary. I personally do not give my guests the option to wash the linen because of the possibility of setting stains and I also wish to make sure it is thoroughly clean. I dont charge a cleaning fee either.