Host requesting guest to cancel

Felix164
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Host requesting guest to cancel

I got this message from a host the other day about a property I was looking to rent. It all sounded a bit strange to me and I wondered if this was true. I don't want to be difficult if it is but it would be very annoying if he makes me cancel and then rents it out more expensively because he didn't realise there was an event on. His message reads, 

"Unfortunately starting from this October we won't be able to host any guest in this apartment because we didn't get the license for it. 

Could you kindly cancel your request? If I will cancel it, airnbn will block also the other aparment where I'm renting the rooms 😞

If I can somehow compensate the discomfort, please let me know"

6 Replies 6
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hello @Felix164 ,

The host has to cancel, it is his problem not having a proper license. If he cancels, airbnb will only block the dates for the reserved room, not affecting "another appartment".

Do not cancel yourself as you will certainly lose money (depending on cancellation policy)

If the hosts does not want to cancel, contact Airbnb and explain. They can cancel penalty free.

Best regards, Emiel

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Felix164   AS @Emiel1  says do not cancel you will lose your AirBnB fees. The host needs to cancel this on his end. Is his calendar blocked for all dates from October on to book or can you book in say November or other days in October still? If it's not blocked he's full of it and lying because as you said he wants to book at a higher rate now that he's aware of the event. Do not give him the satisfaction. He wants it canceled he takes all the penalties including the dates blocked off. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Felix164   If it is truly a matter of the host not having obtained the proper license, he can cancel without penalty under the "extenuating circumstances" clause.

This cancellation is on the host, not on you, but I'd contact Airbnb to make sure that the host cancels immediately to give you time to arrange another booking elsewhere.

Hilary79
Level 8
Spokane, WA

@Felix0   Yes, the host should initiate the cancellation of the reservation and take the hit/penalties.  However, if you want to move on with your travel plans and make reservations elsewhere, many cancellation policies allow you to cancel penalty free within 48 hours of making the reservation and return the service fee.  To do so, you need to CALL customer service - do NOT cancel through the website.    https://www.airbnb.com/home/cancellation_policies 

@Hilary79

I thought guest can always cancel for free within 48 hours ... are you sure it depends of cancellation policies?

@Felix164yes, it is your host's fault bc he kept his calendar open for those dates when he can't host. But, mistakes happens... and if he cancels he will face penalties : 100$ fee, lost of superhost status, automated review and blocked dates.

If you cancel within 48 hours you will get all your money and fees back so no harm is done.

Plus... you can't book the same dates at another property without canceling this reservation first bc you will not be refunded if you do so.

So, in your shoes I would cancel and just book somewhere else. It is the fastes and simplest way.

He told me a month after I had booked