Host who refused to host and trying to get a refund

Deborah703
Level 1
Luton, United Kingdom

Host who refused to host and trying to get a refund

Hope someone can help as it feels like I'm banging my head against a brick wall!

Had booked to stay for 3 nights for 3 people at the end of May.  This was booked about a year in advance (it's the Hay Festival - you have to).  Half the momeny taken at the time and the remainder a couple of weeks before.  Money goes out, you assume everything is OK, reminders popping up about the booking.  I got nothing from the 'Host' so I messages and then rang and left a message.  Finally got a call back about 8pm the night before we were due to go saying he had delisted the booking and hadn't anyone told me?  I presume he didn't cancel the booking, so I was screwed and he just shrugged his shoulders and hung up.

We already had purchased tickets for events and amazingly I was able to find alternative accommodation, even at the literal eleventh hour.  Really, I could have done without the stress and obviously I was in efect paying twice over for the same thing.

I have asked Airbnb for an explanation of how this was allowed to happen and an assurance that no one is going to be screwed in this way again.  I also asked for a full refund.  In addition, I expected to be compensated for the additional cost of the alternative accommodation and the extra stress; I don't think that's unreasonable.

On their contact page it says they usually get back to you with 24 hours.  That's b*llocks.  I have pointed this out to them.  Their Facebook PM system says they usually response within an hour.  Also b*llocks.

It took nearly a week for anyone to get back to me.  They promised a refund but wouldn'd give a straight answer on any other point.  They did direct me to their Feedback page, and I sent them a long message, but apparnetly they can't be bothered the respond to you either.

It's now more than another week on and still ne refund has materialised.  they also haven't sent me a copy of their complaints policy, as requested, and the contact detaisl of someone senior that I can make an official complaint to.

I really don't know what else to do and am more and more disgusted each day they are sitting there on my money!  It's alsmost like they want me to tell everyone what a cr*p company they are.

Can you tell I'm frustrated?

Any help appreciated.  Am considering contacting Trading Standards/Citizens Advice as I don't know what to do next.

5 Replies 5
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Deborah703 

so if I understood you correctly you didn't cancel, your host didn't cancel but he just told you over the phone that he can't host you?

Then you just booked another accommodation for the same period?

Did you use the resolution center "save and receive money" for a refund?

How did you contact Airbnb? Email, form, phone, Twitter?

Did you contact Airbnb before you booked another accomodation?

Do you have anything in writing on the Airbnb message system from your host?

( Just asking ... to make it clear )

Hi - thanks for responding.  I only had a verbal message, which I don't like much either!  Said 'host' has removed himself from the system as far as I understand.  His words to me were on the line of "I unlisted my property about 6 months ago - didn't they tell you?".

I used the messaging system as I didn't have much time to try and find an alternative.  Airbnb had nothing - I was lucky to find anything considering how popular the Hay Festival is and considering it was the night before we needed to go!

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Deborah703   It is extraordinary that airbnb would allow a booking to exist on a listing that was no longer active, but I can't say I'm surprised.  @Branka-and-Silvia0  it's possible if the listing was delisted there is no option to cancel for either host or guest?  I am not surprised that no one at airbnb is getting back to you, this is fairly typical, and if not typical, at least common.  I agree you should get a full refund.  What airbnb often does is they will give a 10% or so coupon type of thing to help defray the costs of a different place, but I think it's rare that they will cover 100% of the cost differentiation except in extreme circumstances.  good luck.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Mark116 

we unlisted our 3 bedroom apartment listing (consists of our studio + 2bdr apartment) because we realized that groups over 4 guests are often trouble. We still have a few reservations to honor and we will. I just checked and yes, I can still alter or cancel those future reservations.  My guests didn't contact me so it means they were not notified that we unlisted this listing for future bookings. ( We are able to activate it again in the future)

I don't know if they would be notified if we permanently deleted this listing and our account.

I can forsee a situation where you might want to stop but would honour any existing bookings, but it would be helpful if there was a failsafe - for example that they have to positively take action on each outstanding booking.  I have suggested this, but for all I know their 'Feedback' message centre is just another block hole......