Hosting in Fort Worth, TX

Mary-Beth-and-Don0
Level 2
Fort Worth, TX

Hosting in Fort Worth, TX

In the Spring of 2018, Fort Worth made hosting in residential areas effectively illegal.  Up until recently, however, they've just looked the other way allowing  Airbnb hosts to continue on their merry way.  Today, however, I just heard that code compliance is showing up at hosts' homes and talking to their Airbnb guests.    It's time for Airbnb hosts in Fort Worth to organize and encourage our city to adopt a more balanced approach to regulating short term rentals.  There is currently state legislation in committee which will prevent cities in Texas from banning Airbnb rentals and setting reasonable guidelines for regulation, but I don't think it will get passed before their session closes. One Airbnb super host set up a FB page to provide a forum for Fort Worth Airbnb hosts to share information and ideas.  You can do a search on Facebook for "FWTX Hosts."  The page was just created during the last few days, so there aren't many of us right now, but if you are a Fort Worth host, please join us as we support one another and encourage FW to be an STR-friendly city.

9 Replies 9
Pamela626
Level 1
Fort Worth, TX

Hello,  I have recently listed my house on Airbnb and haven't received not one booking.

This message is for all my fellow hosting friends what am I doing wrong.

Victor675
Level 1
Fort Worth, TX

I looked you up and did not find you.

can you please provide a link.

thnks

Barbara717
Level 4
Fort Worth, TX

I was cited by Code Compliance on September 27th for “operating a business in a home zoned single-family residential”. I was told I had to stop by September 28th! I live in Meadowbrook in a home built in 1929, with a cottage in my backyard which was my AiBNB for 3 years, without incident. I have written the mayor, my council woman, as well as two others and Randle Harwood, Director of Planning and Development. It is Mr. Harwood’s department which be drafting the recommendations specifically regarding AirBNB’s. His email is Randle.Harwood@fortworthtexas.gov.
When I went to Planning and Zoning in person, I was told I couldn’t even rent it for 30 days or more! I know several of you are in Single-family residence zones, also. We need to make our voices heard. Right now, according to Mr. Harwood, AirBNBs are only allowed in Mixed-use areas and commercial districts.

BTW, I was told an anonymous complaint was received that because there were several cars at my home, I must be operating an AirBNB.  My daughter and son-in-law are living with me while having a new home built.  That means there are always 3 cars there, and if an AirBNB guest had a car, there were 4.  Two in the driveway, and 2 on the street!

ATTENTION!  Hosts who may be operating an AirBNB in a single-family residentially zoned area of Fort Worth.  I operated an AirBNB in a cottage on my property until September 27, 2019, when Code Compliance said I had to “stop operating a business in a residentially zoned area."  

In October 2019, I contacted Randle Harwood, Director, Planning and Development Department (randle.harwood@fortworthtexas.gov  817-392-6101), who told me that the City would be drafting an ordinance to address short-term rentals such as AirBNBs.  Another city hall employee recommended that I subscribe to City News Daily so that I could stay abreast of the short-term rentals issue. 

On December 26, 2019, there was a notice in City News Daily, NextDoor, Facebook, and Twitter asking residents to complete a survey so “existing policies can be updated and address issues to protect guests, hosts, owners and the neighboring residences.”  The survey was open until December 30, only 4 days.  However, on 1/4/2020, I heard on Channel 5 News that the city is re-launching the survey. 

Since this matter could directly impact our ability to continue legally operating our businesses, please contact Randle Harwood directly to voice your concern and learn how you can affect the planned ordinance governing AirBNB hosts.

I had the same thing. I didn't know it was illegal. 

I am not sure what to do now.

Are you aware of any updates since then? Also, I'm looking at a zoning map of Ft Worth and can't tell if I'm in a single family residential zone. I also live near Meadowbrook and Eastchase and figured we're in the same boat.

Nichelle6
Level 1
Virginia Beach, VA

Howdy, if you can shoot a link or any more information i would like to get involved

Tulio29
Level 2
Weatherford, TX

Is anybody in Weatherfod in the same situation...I ask the city planning department for some operating permit or license .....and told me is illegal do in daily basics only in regular monthly rent.

I need advice ...I have some booking.....

tks

Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD