How easy is it for guests to find check-in instructions on the app?

Geoffrey37
Level 2
Edmonton, Canada

How easy is it for guests to find check-in instructions on the app?

Hi everyone..

It seems airbnb has recently changed the location of the check-in instructions on the app, and two of my recent guests have been unable to find them - I even tried to help one of the guests on his phone, and I was unable to find them either.. They used to be more prominently displayed under "Details".

It's a problem when I'm at work, and guests are locked out.. I'm having to message them each time with instructions, and photos, which is a lot more time consuming. What has your experience been?

6 Replies 6
Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

And of course all that info is completely inaccessible to those who don't have the app.

@Emilia42 Apparently it is now visible on the desktop version, but now impossible to find on the app!

@Geoffrey37, not my version. 😞 I am only able to give guest's instructions by manually sending a message which can't include pictures.

I was a guest last fall and couldn't figure out the check in because I didn't have the app. I was confused as to why the host hadn't given me any info and he was confused as to why I cannot read. But luckily we figured it out. 

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Airbnb-Updates/Tips-for-better-check-ins-Make-the-most-of-Airbnb...

@Emilia42 Hmm. It was just a couple days ago.. I told my guest the instructions were hard to find on the app.. He said no problem, he found it on his computer..

They just changed the format on the app a couple weeks ago.. maybe they made some corresponding changes on the desktop version to make it easier to find there? Things are always changing, for whatever reason.

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@Geoffrey37 I was a guest last week. When I first made my reservation, the check in instructions were fairly prominent on my reservation page. But then, the interface changed. Finding my reservation page became more difficult as AirBNB filled the primary page with "Experiences" that they were trying to sell me. Then the check in instructions simply disappeared, a new policy since some hosts were finding that people had the check in instructions and then canceled. When the check in instructions finally reappeared, again, they were hard to find.

I have never used this feature of the app since I prefer to use the messaging system to send individualized messages, and to be honest, don't want to have this important part of my guests' stay controled by AirBNB.

While AirBNB folls around with this feature, I would suggest that you have a saved message ready to fire off when your guests have this problem, don't have the app on their phone, or are just plain flakey.

@Susan151 I’ve never used the saved

message feature but now I will. I don’t complain much about airbnb’s service but it’s misleading to have hosts fill out those instructions if they cannot be found by guests. I had been telling guests how to find my directions on the app but when airbnb changes those on us it causes a lot of problems.  I had a young woman stuck outside my place for some time last week after a long journey. She wound up going to the neighbours and I kept telling her to just look on the app to find the lockbox instructions!