How long should I wait for a guest review before it expires and is it ok to send a reminder?

Answered!
Donata12
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

How long should I wait for a guest review before it expires and is it ok to send a reminder?

Hello,

my guest has checked out a few days ago but did not leave a review yet. he messaged me thanking me and saying that they loved the place and had a good time. Is it ok to message the guest to remikknd him that a review would be appreciated? I have just started renting my place and i would like to build up some good reviews! Any suggestions? thanks!

1 Best Answer

@Donata12

All of my guests to date have been kind enough to leave me reviews - I only host 3~4 guests per year so I do mention during their stay that each and every guest review to me is important so I'd really appreciate if they leave me a review. I usually wait about 1 week after check out. If the guest has not left me a review by then, I send a short message along the lines of....... hope you got home safe and sound, thank you again for staying with us and being such a great guest, we enjoyed being your hosts. We know you will be busy catching up with family and friends but there is only about 6~7 days remaining until guests are able to leave reviews for hosts so we'd really appreciate if you could take a couple mins to leave us a review within the next couple days before time runs out. 

View Best Answer in original post

20 Replies 20
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

There's no rule that says you can or can't. I would, but only in light of that message indicating the probability that he would leave a good review.

John1574
Level 10
Providence, RI

@Donata12

I would, as it's a harmless gesture.  I'd try to slip in that anything under 5 stars reflects as a negative because of AirBnB's computer algorythmns that compile data on reviews.

I had a guest that was greeted with a bottle of champagne, fresh cut flowers, a gift bag and home baked goodies.  They checcked in without saying hi and checked out without saying bye: they took what they liked out of our gift bag, drank the champagne, ate the goodies and never left a review.

For a prior party I installed air conditioning, cable TV and high speed internet at their request eventhough it was not offered at that time in my listing.  I left them a great review but they never responded to my request to leave a review for me.

My current guests came over and told me they just experienced the best welcome evere as we do the same thing for each guest.

Guests, go figure.

My council to mysef:  patience.

Thanks for this post John. You are so right.

Thanks John. Wow, i guess we are all different!! I did reach out to my guest and he said he had forgot and was going to do it within the next couple of days. He confirmed they loved it and nothing was wrong. I hope he leave the review before it expires!

I would never solicit a 5 star rating. Every rental should stand on its own merit. I believe it's ok to invite them to write a review and nothing more. I stayed in the Hollywood Ca area this year. The owner was soliciting a 5 star rating and in turn would give me one. She said that she was in a competition for Superhost. In my review, I told her that Superhost was not a competition but a standard that we strive to meet and the traveling public expect. With that said, I was not happy with the conditions of our stay and we gave her a 4 star but realistically I should' given her a 3. Many factors went into that rating dealing with all the sub-category ratings.

@Donata12

All of my guests to date have been kind enough to leave me reviews - I only host 3~4 guests per year so I do mention during their stay that each and every guest review to me is important so I'd really appreciate if they leave me a review. I usually wait about 1 week after check out. If the guest has not left me a review by then, I send a short message along the lines of....... hope you got home safe and sound, thank you again for staying with us and being such a great guest, we enjoyed being your hosts. We know you will be busy catching up with family and friends but there is only about 6~7 days remaining until guests are able to leave reviews for hosts so we'd really appreciate if you could take a couple mins to leave us a review within the next couple days before time runs out. 

thank you. Yes i probably should have reached out to them a little bit earlier!! and i wrote something along the lines you just mentioned here! 

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Donata12  I find if I review them first right after I am sure they were good guests they tend to review me shortly after. 

Joan55
Level 2
Cape Coral, FL

I just had a guest that brought their 60 lb lab.  They left the lab with me all day long while they went to Fort Myers Beach to visit with their Grandmother.   Left early in the am and returned around six at night.  The lab tried to fight with my lab/poodle over her food.  I explained what happened and ask them to please put a collar on their dog while they were out.   I tried every way possible to make this couple comfortable   A couple of beers in their refrig.  Dog bones, dog bed, etc.  I have a big backyard and a dog door.   When she booked the room she asked about the size of the bed.  I have on my site that the beds are Queen.   When she left, the house was filled with dog hair, the dog dug up my plants in the backyard.   She complained about the air in the bedroom where she was staying.  I had a new fan put in the room while they were out at the Grandmothers.  Her review complained about my other guests, the bed was not a queen, (not true)  and she specifically asked for a queen.   I had my friends in and out during their stay and one had a small puppy.    We all are dog lovers.  I was her personal dog sitter for five days.  She complained about the puppy being here while her dog was here.  She was gone all day and had no idea what was going on with her dog.   We need to have more areas on AirBnB to charge for pet sitting!    Also, everyone can cook here and she complained about the kitchen not being as clean as she wanted it to be.   If you cook in my house you should clean up, I am not a maid.

We host a large number (1/3 to 1/2 of bookings) of first time AirBnB guests for whatever reason- our listing is a retro travel trailer and attracts budget and adventure travelers. Those that are less likely to leave reviews are consistently the same ones that instant book in advance then fail to notice or respond to the check in instructions we send several days prior to arrival. Our theory is they don't have AirBnB alerts sent to email or text and are basically unaware of reviews or how to communicate though the platform. Usually we send the check in info as a text to their cell if they don't notice it in on the AirBnB messaging sysytem, then check in with them by the platform and text thoughout their stay. Some eventually catch on and start using the platform, others do not. If we are pretty sure they loved their stay, about a week out we send a text explaining how important reviews are and asking them to consider leaving one. We never suggest how to review- just that taking a minute to review their stay means a lot to us and we hope to see them again.. something like that. At least half leave a review after that but not all. Our review percent is at 92% for 108 stays so this system seems to be working. Not sure if this would work for everyone but for our location and listing results are satisfactory with this plan.

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

I had a guest, who has been gone almost a week and hasn't left a review. I left them a review the day after they checked out, after I had heard from my cleaning staff that everything was fine. 

This guest is a newbie to AirBnb and wasn't very communicative throughout the process, as I sometimes find newbies are not. She didn't respond to my pre-check in message, where I send the door code, directions, reiterate policies and the such, but she did send a message two days into her stay asking for suggestiong about hikes and also commenting how much she liked the place. After I sent her my suggestions, I never heard back from her, neither in response to that message nor my pre-check out message.

I am thinking of sending her a reminder tomorrow, at the one week mark reminding her.  I have send a reminder once before and the guest promptly responded saying he would leave a review and then he did, but I feel a bit strange about doing so.

Has it been decided that guests do indeed get reminders from AirBnb and is that at the one week mark?

SteveAndDiane1
Level 2
Kailua-Kona, HI

Yes, I think AirBnB should also send reminders to First Time Guests that it is advantageous for them to leave a review as soon as possible after they check out. It is beneficial for both Host and guest.

Deborah527
Level 2
Amherst, MA

I'm torn about what to do.  I had a guest book for four people for this last weekend.  It was a graduation weekend and when she arrived with her three others they seemed fine and remarked on the flowerbeds, etc.  She asked whether three of their friends could come in and "get ready" for the evening; I said ok.  They were very quiet and didn't bother us, and later went out.  I confirmed directly with her that only four people were staying; she said yes.  I confirmed with one of the boys also; he said only four.  However, I woke up in the night and noticed that the two cars were back, and they were still there at 5:30am.  When I heard them leaving, I saw seven people leave quickly with their bags.  The thing is, they left the place very clean and neat, with no damage.  She has no reviews as yet and I would hate to give her a terrible review, but I don't think she should do this again to someone else.  I'm thinking of giving her a pretty good review since in the end no harm was done, except to my peace of mind all night, and then sending her a pointed private message at the same time about deception.  Any advice with a more experienced viewpoint?

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Deborah527 I would write an honest review. It doesn't matter if they left the place clean, they lied to your face and used extra resources which you will have to pay for.