How to Improve Communication Rating?

Answered!

How to Improve Communication Rating?

I'm a guest and I just discovered my star rating for communication is a 4.  I think that suggests my communication is poor, or in strong need of improvement.  I honestly don't know what else I can do aside from responding to my Hosts as soon as I receive a message, usually within minutes.

In most cases, Hosts don't communicate personally until the day of the reservation.  So I need to contact them in the mornings because those are usually travel days.  Perhaps that might be annoying.  Does anyone have any tips on how to improve my communication score beyond what I've mentioned? 

Thank you.

1 Best Answer
Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Scott1437 You have only 5 reviews so it doesn't take much to knock a star off. Your latest review is kind of odd. Your previous hosts could have rated you perfectly but then if your last host gave you a 3 star for communication because he "didn't meet you at all," that would bring your average down. I wouldn't worry about it. You responded appropriately to that review and future hosts will be able to communicate with you when booking. 

As a personal preference, I like it when guests send me a message when they arrive and depart. It helps me to feel in the loop. Those guests usually always get 5 stars for communication from me. 

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Scott1437 You have only 5 reviews so it doesn't take much to knock a star off. Your latest review is kind of odd. Your previous hosts could have rated you perfectly but then if your last host gave you a 3 star for communication because he "didn't meet you at all," that would bring your average down. I wouldn't worry about it. You responded appropriately to that review and future hosts will be able to communicate with you when booking. 

As a personal preference, I like it when guests send me a message when they arrive and depart. It helps me to feel in the loop. Those guests usually always get 5 stars for communication from me. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Scott1437 Indeed your last host got their review wrong as evidenced by their comment to your review. Carry on as you are - all seems fine!

Thank you both.  I was starting to get a bit paranoid 😉

I'll stick with it and do my best!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Scott1437  It would seem your last host may have confused your stay with that of another guest. 

Your reviews indicate that you are a good guest and one specifically mentions great communication. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Some hosts barely communicate with guests, only sending check-in info day -before or morning-of, as you mentioned.

Personally I like it when guests communicate with me when they book, in a way that gives me some info about them. Something like "Hi Sarah, Found your listing and it looks perfect for me. I am coming to take sailing lessons, so I'll be out all day, but would enjoy coming home in the evening to your quiet place away from the touristy area. Look forward to meeting you."

I have a home-share listing, so I like more personal communication than many entire-home hosts might, but I think most hosts feel more at ease with a booking where the guest has written something that gives the host a sense of the guest.

But perhaps you already do this.

Star ratings are very subjective, whether given by hosts or guests, as I don't know why that rating was given. They mean little to me- what might be a 5* guest in my opinion might be a 3* guest in someone else's. It's the written reviews which hopefully give me concrete information.