How to a add a promotional offer due to building works

Debs9
Level 2
Hesket Newmarket, GB

How to a add a promotional offer due to building works

Hi

I was wondering if someone could help me with this please.... I have been trying to add a note on my listing about some building works that will commence in November 2018. I have reduced my rates for Nov to reflect this but I cant seem to pre-warn any guests with a 'special notice' attached to the Novmeber pricing. 

Does anyone know how to do it please? Help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

13 Replies 13
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Debs9 You can set up a discount by selecting the listing, than click on Manage Listing and next on Pricing on top of the page and after that you can set up a discount for specific week or month and write in the description that they are getting a deal because of the noise. And just to be sure, when they try to book ask them again if they understand if the discount is to compensate for the noise because guests just dont read 🙂

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@Debs9 sounds like you are setting yourself up for a few negative reviews, guests don't read descriptions and bargin hunters like to complain. I would block the days while building work is going on.

Alternatively take it off instant book, when a request comes in you can explain to the guest that they will have a noise issue and your explanation will be on the message system if they complain about it later.

Debs9
Level 2
Hesket Newmarket, GB

Yes we had thought about blocking the dates off but it's a whole month which means loosing alot of pennies! I have taken off ' Instant book' so at least I can explain the situation first. And still hope for a couple of bookings which will help. Thanks Jeff. 

@Debs9I totaly agree with @Jeff158 he wrote the same I would but he did it first 🙂 A friend of mine have had the same situation when building facade was renovating (for a full year) and she got so many low ratings and reviews that she was finally delisted.

We have decided just to block the whole of November off to save any issues /problems. Thanks for your advice.

Terri38
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Be prepared to extend the discount period.   Construction/road works run over schedule due to weather or other reasons.  Maybe contact anyone who has booked for the first part of December and let them know of the issue.

Good luck!

Debs9
Level 2
Hesket Newmarket, GB

Thank you Terri  for your advise. 

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

There is another issue here which is that it may be dalayed in starting, might not be any noise over weekends etc. Might run for another month. Whatever. Why not say that during the period of approximately this to this, there may be construction noise. Should this happen during your visit, your stay will be reduced by xx%. Whatever you deem fit. I don't know how close this work is, or how loud. I had construction next door to me for 6 months but gave no discounts. Mostly it happened during the day when people were out. By afternoon they knocked off, nobody worked weekends. So at the most they would have heard it for a couple of hours. Nobody complained.

Yet every situation is different, yours might start at 7am and go all day and night!

Thanks Sandra. Yes it's hard to know! My husband thinks it's best to block the whole of November off just incase of any negative feedback....which is what I've done. 

@Debs9  This is what I would have done also, the unknown can tank your listing. 

Debs9
Level 2
Hesket Newmarket, GB

Thanks Letti for that. 

Rachel0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Debs9 If you change  your mind about blocking  off the whole of November, the hours that builders are allowed to make noise are 8am to 6pm Mon-Fri, 8am to 1pm Sat and not at all on Sundays.  So your guests would perhaps be disturbed if they wanted a lie in past 8am but not much more.  I had a look at your listing and it is absolutely gorgeous by the way! 

Debs9
Level 2
Hesket Newmarket, GB

Thanks Rachel. We're just blocking the whole month off now following other people's advise.