How to deal with a guest

Melanie33
Level 8
Ashcott, United Kingdom

How to deal with a guest

Had a guest book on Thursday evening for tonight.  Said he was going to a festival.  Tried to contact him to find what time he planned to arrive.  Our check in is 4 to 9 pm.  Eventually this morning he said he was arriving midday.  I pointed out our check in time but said he could drop his bags but the room may not be ready as previous guest was still there.  Changed my plans for the day to accommodate him.   At 2 pm he messaged to say he didn’t realise we were an hour from where he wanted to be and could he have a refund.  I felt he was trouble but pointed out I was under no obligation to refund but would give him something as a gesture of goodwill (certainly not all) but could he let me know if he agreed or if he was coming or not.  Later sent another message but have heard nothing.  The event he is at finishes at 10 and he is at least an hour away and our check in is 9pm.  Have no idea if he will arrive but if it’s after 9 do I let him in.  Will he arrive.......no idea!

5 Replies 5
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Melanie33 

He did not cancel, so there is a possibility he shows up....

The only thing you can do is keep trying to contact him (phonenumber ?)

If after 9 pm and still no respons, you can contact Airbnb and aks them to contact the guest.

Best regards,

Emiel

Emily487
Level 10
KCMO, MO

@Melanie33 

Ugh. So the kid didn't know how to read a map, a clock, or make a simple plan?  Life skills, man. Life skills. 

Just keep all your conversations on the messaging system and shore yourself up for when he requests a full or partial refund from AirBnB. Good luck and keep us posted!

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

Time for a lockbox.

Melanie33
Level 8
Ashcott, United Kingdom

@Pete69  A lockbox wouldn’t solve the problem.  That’s that we are 30 miles from where he wants to be.  

So far no reply to my repeated trying to get hold of him and it’s 10.15pm and no show so far!

@Melanie33 he missed your check-in window. In your shoes I would send him a final message telling him your check-in window is closed, send him whatever refund you already promised, and go to bed.