How to set up Occupancy tax collection

Answered!
Sandy-And-Jim0
Level 2
Paso Robles, CA

How to set up Occupancy tax collection

How do I set up to collect the 'occupancy tax' my city requires?  Another property owner has it set up in "community fee", but I do not have that option on my site, and yet we are in the same city?!

I am having to payout my taxes from my own payouts and it is getting expensive.

I went online and it says to use the "professional tools" to set it up, but there are no 'professional tools' options available.

Help!  Need to start collecting the tax!

Jim

1 Best Answer
Felicia88
Level 2
Daphne, AL

Even though this post is going on four years old and you’ve probably long figured it out, I’m going to explain here a possible problem for the benefit of others coming to this thread recently.

It took me quite a while to realize the Airbnb app does not contain all or the same features as the full site features available only when using a desktop. If you go to your listing from a desktop, then to pricing and availability, scroll down to taxes and hit edit, you’ll find a “new” custom tax tab that will let you make separate line items for occupancy taxes and fees. You’ll get the money from Airbnb along with a separate report that you then remit to your taxing authorities. 

At least it allows us to keep the taxes out of our base rate!! Very psychologically important as guests compare our rates against hotels and other competitors!

View Best Answer in original post

2 Replies 2
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Sandy-And-Jim0 

You certainly will have the option "community fee" available, but it is not the right feature to use for  Tourist taxes etc.. They are in a separate screen, but only available with professional tools, which is an option within your account. If you can not find this also, look here : https://protools.withairbnb.com/get-know-airbnbs-professional-tools-features/

A lot of taxes are charged already by Airbnb on behalf of the host, but your listings shows it does not (yet).

For overview see: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2509/in-what-areas-is-occupancy-tax-collection-and-remittance-by...

Best regards,

Emiel.

Felicia88
Level 2
Daphne, AL

Even though this post is going on four years old and you’ve probably long figured it out, I’m going to explain here a possible problem for the benefit of others coming to this thread recently.

It took me quite a while to realize the Airbnb app does not contain all or the same features as the full site features available only when using a desktop. If you go to your listing from a desktop, then to pricing and availability, scroll down to taxes and hit edit, you’ll find a “new” custom tax tab that will let you make separate line items for occupancy taxes and fees. You’ll get the money from Airbnb along with a separate report that you then remit to your taxing authorities. 

At least it allows us to keep the taxes out of our base rate!! Very psychologically important as guests compare our rates against hotels and other competitors!