How would you respond?

Melanie189
Level 3
Knoxville, TN

How would you respond?

My current guest booked 6 nights a year ago.  This is one of the busiest months of the year for our area and he has had my calendar booked for a year.  He checked in last night and has now informed me that he will be leaving tomorrow (Tuesday) instead of  Saturday as booked and is requesting a partial refund. He has given no reason for leaving early.  Any suggestions on how I should respond? 

7 Replies 7
Denis-Mark0
Level 10
Lahnstein, Germany

Hi @Melanie189 

He already ask you a refund as if it's the most common thing in the world??  From a conditions-only point of view, he has no right to a refund, right? Are You afraid of a negative review?

Try to let him understand the situation from your point of view. That you have a financial loss because you have no chance to get another guest for those days. Would he behave different being a host like you? I don't think so. 

Travel companies, airlines, none of them has pity with guests not being able to take the trip. Or they ask for extra fees to be more flexible. Why should we behave different?

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Denis-Mark0 

We have to behave different as we are hostage by the review system.

@Emiel1 I agree with you! 

@Emiel1 Yes, Unfortunately :-/. And it really pisses me off. When I have been in such situations I have tried to explain how the cancellation policy is put together in the nicest way possible. 

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Melanie189 

There is a cancellation policy attached to the reservation. If it is the same policy as the one mentioned now in your listing, then there is no refund if the guest cancels the reservation. If you are willing to give some refund, then for example offer to shorten the stay to 4 nights. But if the guests only wants a refund for all the nights not used, advice the guest to contact Airbnb.

Best regards,

Emiel

Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

Hi @Melanie189 🙂

A guest may cancel whenever he wants to and when the guest do so he will get his money back according to your cancellation policy. You don't have to do a thing. Just tell him that it is all automated and that you are sorry but you have nothing to do with anything that has to do with cancellations, payments etc. Airbnb takes care of all of that and that when he pays he pays airbnb and not you. He booked and blocked the dates so noone else could book. Tell him to cancel. Make sure to put the words so it sounds like that’s how it is and the cancellation policy is how it is - so you are not to blame. He has to cancel from is side - all by himself. If you get a request to cancel from him then decline it as it will then look like you cancelled. He has to do it. I'm so fed up with guests who just thinks it's okay to disrespect the cancellation policy. They do not for a second think about the loss the host might have when they booked and blocked the dates for ages 😕

Best, Sandra

Melanie189
Level 3
Knoxville, TN

Thank you all for your advice.  I guess my concern was one of retaliation in a review and just confrontation in general. Just needed some confirmation that I shouldn't feel guilty for not giving a refund.  Thanks again!