How would you write this review?

Answered!
Wendy117
Level 10
Bexley, Australia

As a host, I know I would like to be advised by previous hosts of guests that I would not want to stay.

This group was quiet and polite.

This guest booked for 4 people but there were 5.  They made up a folding bed in wardrobe and used packed summer quilts for the extra person– and as there was no spare bed linen, they used without, meaning I must launder quilts before giving to new guests.

The fridge was full and bench covered in half eaten food (they did do the dishes though) and all inside bins were full plus a lot more garbage bags left on balcony.

What looks like clumps of dust balls in all rooms, but not possible for a 13 day stay – maybe it is hair.  Grease and food splashes everywhere, up the wall, behind the stove, making the eastern cooking smells way over the top (I can hear my cleaner muttering to herself upstairs now).

At 10am, my checkout time, I received a text message requesting they leave at midday.  I agreed as long as I could come up and get all dirty linen to start washing as in winter there is limited drying time.

They said not to worry they would leave in half an hour but I was on my way upstairs when they sent that message.  They were still in their pyjamas and that was when I discovered the extra person, extra bed set  up etc.  They left at 11am.

As one of the young men is staying in Sydney to work and the rest are returning to their country,  I am a little nervous of leaving feedback that could cause a confrontation in person,  but I do think it is important to warn other hosts. I am a retired female living on my own so I avoid confrontation with certain types of guests.  I do not intend to claim for the extra person as I see it as another example of the risks involved by lowering my prices for last minute guests.  We all know that the lowest price usually attracts the wrong type of guest.

1 Best Answer

@Wendy117:

While (GUEST) was quiet and polite, he/she brought an extra unpaid guest into my home. There were cleanliness issues when they left and previously stored linens needing to be washed.

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4

@Wendy117:

While (GUEST) was quiet and polite, he/she brought an extra unpaid guest into my home. There were cleanliness issues when they left and previously stored linens needing to be washed.

@Tim-and-Holly0Nice. Short and succinct and without my current emotion.  Cleaner ended up taking 5 hours and discovered more nasty cleanliness surprises!  I will wait until last day and leave the review, with a rating of 3 to ensure they cannot auto-book me in the future.  Thank you

@Wendy117 you should also give them the thumbs down/no option when it asks would you host them again. That way the guest can't use instant book where the host has the 'recommended by other hosts' option ticked. And @Tim-and-Holly0 suggested response is perfect - factual and clear to other hosts what the problem was.

Anne-And-Bill1
Level 2
Cincinnati, OH

We had a very similar situation this past weekend.   The reservation was made by a local resident, reserved and confirmed (twice by airbnb messages) one person for two nights, yet at least 4 people stayed.  They left a huge amount of clean up for us, more than 6 hours!  They apparently cooked something, fried chicken or similar and the smell!!  Scrubbed everything in the kitchen area twice and the floors 4 times.  We are guessing its eyelash glue that is all over the white granite countertops, floors and all over the bathroom.  Multiple towels were ruined with this black glue and also the bed quilt.

We did sent a request today for the additional fee for more than 2 guests (listed in our price/listing).

How do we write a review so we won't have any retaliation since they are local and obviously know where we live!  But we want to make sure other hosts would be aware of the issues.