I have cancelled a customer's reservation by mistake

MariaAntoniet1
Level 1
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom

I have cancelled a customer's reservation by mistake

Hi,

I would like to start by saying that I am new to Airbnb as a Host so I was not aware of all the rules for each scenario.

Anyway, recently I had a reservation for January. I had the usual request for me to accept or decline; I accepted it then withdrew the acceptance as I saw a message against the customer's profile saying that the ID was pending verification.

The next thing I know is that I receive a message saying: 'Congratulations, you have a new booking!'.

I have not got a clue how that happened (was it a glitch on the system?)...Anyway, I panicked thinking that my account was hacked and cancelled the reservation straightaway.

Now I can see that I have been penalised by Airbnb saying that my account is at risk of being suspended as I have cancelled a reservation...It was a totally genuine reaction due to the reasons above including the fact that I am new as a Host.

I am extremely frustrated as I cannot get in touch with anybody from Airbnb to explain what happened.

Can you help please?

Many Thanks,

Maria 

2 Replies 2
Helen115
Level 2
Canterbury, United Kingdom

Hi Maria,

We have learned to always check the potential guest's reviews and ID before you click accept! If you accept and cancel afterwards you WILL be penalised by AirBNB even if the guest turns out to be someone you might not want to host. Give yourself time to look at the profile, do not panic into clicking accept. It is your home, you reserve the right to pick your guests. I would strongly suggest that you do not use instant book, as this allows you some contemplation time. We have also learnt to go with our instant gut reaction on reading a message from a potential guest. If you already do not like the tone in any way then just decline the booking, it is your right.

As a new host, I would remind you that you are not a hotel, so do not provide a hotel service at AirBNB prices. Ironing is not essential, just hang things straight from the machine. I provide breakfast items and guests help themselves. Go for clear communication and repeat repeat repeat. Give honest but polite reviews. Make it all minimal work and if you want the weekend off from guests, mark it as blocked. 

Hope this is of some help, 
Helen

MariaAntoniet1
Level 1
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom

Many thanks Helen - your comments are very much appreciated

Maria