I'm here, where are you?

Jessica1
Level 2
Alameda, California, United States

I'm here, where are you?

What do I do if I can't get ahold of the host once I arrive at my listing?

1 Reply 1
Deborah0
Level 10
California, United States

Hi @Jessica

It's not a very responsible host who is AWOL when guest arrives, if that host has stated in advance that either they will be there, or that they will be available by phone and are expecting guest to call, so they can go and meet the guest when the guest arrives.  

Just like hosts need to screen guests before they accept them, and make sure they are accepting a guest they feel comfortable with and who they feel will be responsible, guests need to do the same.  Guests can't assume that anyone who has a listing will be a responsible host (unfortunately).  So when you are looking for a place to stay, evaluate the host and their listing, and their reviews, to assess if you think this is a responsible person whom you can trust.  Just because a host is new with no reviews doesn't mean you can't trust them, but you have less data there to evaluate than is the case with a host who has been hosting a while and has many reviews.  (Hosts are in the same boat -- they dont' need to think that just because a guest has no reviews, that they can't be trusted, but it helps to see that a guest has been rated positively by other hosts).  YOu may want to even ask the host in advance, "what happens if I get to your house and you aren't there?"  Put the host on the spot.  You have the right to ask questions about any of your concerns.  Know that if you ask a WHOLE lot of questions, though, that host may start to think you are "high maintenance" and best avoided  (particularly if you are asking for exceptions to the house rules) , but if you ask intelligent reasonable questions, most hosts will be glad to help.  The best hosts are often those who communicate the best.  Poor communication, meagre communication, delayed communication, indicate potentially problematic hosts.  

So getting back to your question -- if you arrive at the listing and host is not there, call the number you have for them and/or send them a message thru Airbnb messaging.  If you still fail to reach them, call Airbnb for help at the phone number for Airbnb which will be shown on your reservation form (which I recommend you print out and bring with you) .  

If you have to wait an inordinate amount of time, and/or host does not reply and cannot be reached, if you contact AIrbnb, they would probably facilitate you finding an alternate, nearby place to stay.  I have not actually heard of such a case but I believe that is what would happen.  And unless there is an explanation for why host was not there (eg was in car crash, phone was lost), the host might get in trouble.  Hosts who are repeatedly irresponsible shouldn't be hosts and will not last long.