I was robbed while staying at an Airbnb. Support is unresponsive. Help?

I was robbed while staying at an Airbnb. Support is unresponsive. Help?

Hello, 

I was wondering if anyone in the forums has dealt with a similar issue. After staying at an Airbnb that was robbed, support has not provided an update on the case in weeks. 

Calling support, DM'ing on social media, and responding to the first support email has warranted no progress. 

What should I do? Thanks in advance for any help. I feel out of options with a company that doesn't care about its customers. 

20 Replies 20

@Brandi103 

We were in Miami. Saw your post on the Aug. 2020 situation, they look similar for sure. I am wondering if there is a class action lawsuit we can start, as customers of Airbnb who have had this experience. 

Dario507
Level 2
Prague, Czech Republic

I had a similar experience in AirBnb. My room was robbed in March 2023 and today, after 3 months, the insurance wrote they can’t compensate me because the host is not liable for my room in his property being robbed! It seems a joke. I am also thinking to sue them.

I completely give up on Airbnb. 

My car was stolen less than 2 hours of being there. Furthermore, the apartment was out of sorts; I was preoccupied taking pictures  as it looked like someone was sneaking and staying while empty.  Butt print on bed thats not completely made, soap shampoo and conditioner that have clearly been in bathroom for some time (list continues but I’ll spare details).

Not one night spent there; matter of fact, I was on the property less than 3 hours  total. Left the lights on and all blinds open just in case my fears were accurate. Stranger things JUST happened so I’m in flight mode.

My phone charger was in the car as I had only taken a portion of my things inside. I was fearful that someone might be in the apartment. 

First I was escalated to AirCover, and it seems ‘care center ‘ means shuffle guest until guest gives up because clearly that only covers personal injury. So, should have I purposely hit my head on the way out? I had already been slapped in the face!

Host refused a full refund.  Airbnb is silent as if their hands are tied. Partial discount to a FULL ON NIGHTMARE (30% off one night not including the cleaning fee).  Whatever!  Its the most rude I have ever been treated by any business entity ever.  Disgraceful!  I’m out way more than the 2 nights I didn’t stay somewhere, but at least that would’ve been a good start. 

If you don't mind me asking, what city and state were you in. We were in Atlantic City NJ. AND TO THIS DAY, I KNOW THE PROPERTY WAS A SET UP

Mar125
Level 10
California, United States

@Chase109 

This is why I really suggest guests to check the listing’s zip code median housing price before you book.

There are so many **bleep**hole community in the US. Airbnb doesn’t care about the neighborhood, and you know about those things until you get robbed or it’s too late. 

Seriously I don’t think Airbnb can do anything in this case. It’s a rob to the guest of the house. it’s not a host mistake that he hosts at a less safe neighborhood. He is not supposed to be responsible for guests personal property loss. 

don’t book **bleep**hole community. check zip code crime map before booking. 

I was rounded as well last new year on 01/31/2023 when we left for 2 hours

We saw everything in camera and they had the key to get in to the house. They didn’t take anything from the house but only our luggage , computers, credit cards, money, 

after they robed our house , they went to the other house same owner , same host .

intern job .