If a listing shows indoor fireplace, this should be functioning right?

Heather593
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

If a listing shows indoor fireplace, this should be functioning right?

I've booked an accommodation with my husband for the weekend and specifically looked for the feature of indoor fireplace. Have just messaged the host prior to the trip to ask how this works and they've said it isn't functioning and the chimney is actually blocked off.

Disappointed and can't find anywhere that provides information on next steps....or whether if they list an indoor fireplace whether it should be working? Common sense tells me it should otherwise it's just a prop? 

What are your thoughts on this?

3 Replies 3
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Yes of course, if they listed it as an additional amenity  it should be working. (if it is just pictured then not).

There is no point advertising a facility that doesn't.

I have a log fire advertised and always make sure I have laid a fire that guests can light when they arrive and that I have lots of wood in. (you can see it in the first photo on my listing).

Have you ever had a problem with a guest causing damage in using the fireplace?

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@Deborah527  This is shown on the amenity list if it is available to a guest. My living room has a fireplace which is in the photos, but I do not have the fireplace amenity checked since I do not trust anyone to know how to manage a wood fire.

We only use the fireplace twice a year. It is an inefficient way to heat, is dirty and someone needs to clean both the room and the ashes after each use.

There are a couple of hosts near me who are willing to have a fire in the fireplace when they are home to manage it properly.

And yes. Fireplaces in old wooden houses can cause damage; the most obvious one is burning down the house.