Incompetent Host

Ted46
Level 2
Tokyo, Japan

Incompetent Host

So I recently booked an Airbnb in Los Angeles. It was for 31 days long term stay. Communication with the host  was fine upon arrival. II was arriving in LA 2 days prior to the check in. Out of convenience the host offered me to stay in another room she had for rent and then change upon checking day. That was fine with me. The host wanted to deal with this outside Airbnb and told me she would offer a better rate. We never agreed on a final price tho. It was the host who initiated this to deal with outside Airbnb not me. Although I did not refuse either.

Long story short. I arrived at the airport very tired and took a shuttle to the meeting location where the host would pick me up. We started a conversation. First impression seemed fine. The host was kind enough to drive me to the nearest supermarket etc and then we drove to the host house.IThe host explained to me all the rules of the house and I complied. However, quickly I've noticed how neurotic and picky the host was over the course of a couple of hours into our conversation. The host would use examples of past and current tenants and was so straight forward to mention that the host would kick a current tenant out because the host does not feel comfortable anymore to have the guest to stay. I cannot comment on the reasoning as I never met the other guest. But from all the stories the host told me and her overall attitude I felt she is testing her guests out. 

Since I was super tired from my previous travel I told the host I would go to bed early (5pm), and the next morning I woke up at 8 am. The first thing the host tells me is that she wanted to talk to me. I was like okay sure...then the host apparently changed her mind and decided she does not feel comfortable hosting me anymore and tells me I should leave immediately. 

My inital reaction was shocking but then I thought about everything she said the day before about how picky she is and that she has done this before with guests. It's like she is first testing out the guest and if she finds one little thing about the guest she does not like she would simply kick the guest out of her house because it is not alligned with what she wants. When I asked the host for clarification she would get angry and her voice would raise towards me. I tried to stay calm but I was frustrated as I just woke up and I had no clue why this happened.

The host told me I was complaining about this and that upon arrival. Which is definitely not the case as I haven't been there long enough to complain about anything, if there was a reason to do so. Why would I do that upon my arrival? The host told me she went to check the reviews I left behind for other hosts and she didn't like some of them. I told the host that the reviews I leave for hosts are honest reviews and it is my right upon check out to share my experience so that the next guest(s) are aware of what to expect both good and bad things. The host knew I am a good guest because all my reviews left by hosts are good. And I know my values. I am honest and sincere and I respect the property where I'm a guest.

Anyway, the host was really flipping out and she then called Airbnb. She wanted me to confirm to cancel the  future reservation that would start 2 days later. Airbnb told the host they would have to speak to me seperately and that the host has to cancel otherwise I would have lost a lot of money. So while the host is talking to Airbnb I called Airbnb myself and explained my side. The host was quickly making lies saying that I now refuse to pay for the 1 night I stayed at her place. I said I was willing to pay but you never told me how much you would charge me. And the fact that now the situation has changed because you are not satisfied having me as a guest why would I even pay when you are kicking me out for no reason. On top of cancelling a long term booking that was made in advance and for long term. Basically leaving me with empty hands on the street.

Since the host allowed me to stay for 2 nights prior the checking in, there was not much on Airbnb side they could do regarding me to pay the host. Because those 2 nights were not booked through Airbnb. And for me I had no leg to stand on to stay in the hosts house so I was simply packing my stuff and ordering an uber quickly out of the property in case the host would call the police. I stayed silent and didn't say anything to the host while she was going on a rant.

Airbnb later refunded me in full and luckily I found a new Airbnb the same day. But I was completely flabbergasted why the host reacted like this. I have done nothing wrong. But I also learned the lesson that I will not except a booking if it's not done through Airbnb. Because of those 2 nights were booked through Airbnb, the host would have needed to give me more time to search for another Airbnb. Not 10 minutes after I woke up. Some of fresh groceries like chicken and fish I had to leave behind because at that time I had nowhere to go. 

I went to nearest Starbucks and stayed there for an hour. It is scary to think about that a host can be so cruel and so mentally instable to host in the first place. 

Obviously this is my word against the host. But I know the truth. In situations like this, especially since the host is a female and I am a male it is better to stay quiet. Because unfortunately there sitations where the host could call the police and simply come up with some fake story like the guest attacked or abused her. As a man this is the last thing you expect. But this was in LA and LA has many crazy people.

Just sharing my frustations. I really want Airbnb to look more into this host. I also want the host to receive a penalty for making a cancelation on such short notice. As a guest I want Airbnb to be more stricter who can be a host. There are lot of bad hosts out there. But yet the focus is on the guests. As a guest we have to provide a lot of information, multiple IDs etc etc in order for the host to be satisfied. Yet we never receive any ID info about the host.

8 Replies 8
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Ted46  I'm sorry you had this experience. And I'm glad to hear that Airbnb refunded you in full- the host sounds like a nutcase.

Unfortunately, as an online booking platform, with millions of users, I don't see how it would be possible for Airbnb to be able to weed out mentally or emotionally unstable people or those that are nasty or unreasonable, before the fact. ID is fine, but that doesn't tell you what this person is going to be like. So human nature being what it is, there are nutso guests and nutso hosts and eventually many do get weeded out by complaints and bad reviews.

I'm not sure what that host even meant by saying she didn't like how you reviewed other hosts- I read the reviews you've left (not all, but a lot) and you've left great reviews- even when you mentioned that it could have been cleaner, you did it in a respectful way, saying maybe that's just your standards. You sound like a lovely guest who definitely understands what home sharing is about.

What I'd suggest to you as a guest, and what I do as a host, is not to use Instant Book, but to exchange a few messages with the other party before committing to a booking. You can tell a lot about a person by the way they communicate and if you get an "off" feeling, then you just move on to look for another place. (and of course read reviews). But from all your reviews, it seems this was a one-off bad experience and that you've had a lot of great stays, so I guess the law of averages is that you just happened to luck out poorly this time, but at last you didn't have a big hassle getting your $ back. 

Did you manage to find another more suitable long-term place?

@Ted46  P.S. Penalties for hosts cancelling are quite severe, actually. Most guests don't know this, but when a host cancels, the dates of the cancellation are blocked so the host can't rebook them, the host is fined $100, they have "Host cancelled this reservation xx days before check-in" pasted on their review page (which of course makes potential guests leery to book with them) and if they had Superhost status, they lose that and aren't eligible for it again for a year. So no, hosts don't get off scot-free for cancelling at all. And I imagine that because the host suggested booking outside of Airbnb and because of how she dealt with you, that Airbnb will be reading her the riot act or threatening to delist her.

Deanne26
Level 2
Texas, United States

Holy cow! How is someone like this able to host. Did she have any bad reviews? Im just slack jawed at the audacity of this. I will say i will never book outside airbnb because i have expensive items in my place and i need guest to leave a deposit and be liable for any damage they do. Im understanding and have never made a claim but want that option. 

Im so sorry you had an experience like this. If ever in Texas i can make sure you have a much better one. Come see us anytime. Ill even discount it for you. Just mention this conversation 😁

@Deanne26  thank you so much for your offer. I actually just came from Texas - Austin - SA - Houston area. Stayed for 2 weeks. My second time and I love Texas I could see myself living there. The people are so friendly. I had a great time. Southern hospitality truly exists and all my hosts were lovely people. We all got a long.

Regarding the host in LA. I am asking myself the same question. It seems Airbnb let these type of hosts slide. Not much action has been taken. They do not want to loose a host because they generate income for the company. The host does have positive reviews, which I have mentioned makes me wonder why I had the bad apple experience.

The situation made me look bad as a guest. People could think something else has happened that triggered the host to act like this. But I swear and know the truth and what I described in my rant above is exactly how it went down. I wish I had proof so others could truly see that this person should not be a host. The things she said to me and the way she treated me as a guest is out of order and with disrespect. 

I am just sharing my experience with others. I hope this will never happen again because it can truly ruin a trip for someone while on vacation.

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

Sounds like paranoid schizophrenia to me. This host has no business being a host. How many reviews does this host have anyway?

The whole situation sounds really strange. I have NEVER heard of hosts meeting guests at some external location and then they drive you around to buy groceries.

@Pete69 I think it is quite common for a host to pick up a guest - in my case from the airport. If this is what the host offers. Some hosts offer pick up service for a fees others for free. As long as you communicate with each other. Since the location of the Airbnb was very remote in the hills of LA - I asked if on the way to the home we could stop by at the grocery store. The host had no problems with that. Like I have explained everything seemed positive upon arrival. However when arrived at the home I learned quickly how picky and neurotic the host seemed regarding having guests stay at her home. But I rolled with it and as normal accept the hosts requirements and rules. The host has enough positive reviews with gaps. She told me that she has cancelled on guests before, even refusing to hosts certain people if she does not like their reviews. There was a current guest staying who I never met. All she did was complain about the person saying he is not considered etc etc and eventually asked him to leave on the day I suppose to check in officially via Airbnb. But since I was tired on my first day I did not take all these hints serious. I went to bed in the afternoon and woke up to this nightmare. I indeed believe the host has mental issues, which in this day and age is common. But in LA I believe it is even more, especially those who have worked in the entertainment industry and either have a failed career nor never succeeded to break through. I believe the host is bi-polar, which is no joke. But that is the only reasoning I can find. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Ted46  There's definitely some people out there who shouldn't be hosting at all. One of my guests told me of an experience he'd had where he'd booked an "entire cabin" for himself, his wife and their 8 year old son. He said it was obvious that the host normally lived there and just went to sleep somewhere else if she got a booking. She had made zero attempt to clean up anything, it looked like she just walked out the door, her stuff was everywhere. Then she just kept coming over to the house and walking right in, rifling through the drawers to find things she needed, without even knocking or saying hello. She walked right into the bedroom their first morning, when he , his wife and son were still in bed, talking and cuddling. Same thing, he said she seemed mentally unstable.

@Pete69  I pick most of my guests up at the bus station here, which is a 5 minute drive from my house, because it's very hard to find my place the first time. And I always ask if they want to stop at the store on the way- I often need something as well. I don't offer this in my ad, as I don't want it to be expected in case I can't do it one day, and guests are really grateful for the ride.

Blanca105
Level 2
Apopka, FL

These stories are scary to say the least.  I agree instant booking is not a good idea.  I like to read the reviews and engage in a text conversation, before I accept a reservation.  I am fairly new in this industry and I have already had a few shady characters stay at my  house.  I had some items damage and some dirty people who are clueless to the consent of respect.   It's  a shame that some people have no social skills or regard for other people property.  Whether you are a guest or a host.  

Bottomline airbnb is not a reliable source.  Sometimes they will assist, if  you fight the good battle and many times they won't  do much of anything.  You are kinda on n your own.

I personally, try to be more selected with the guests I allow in my home.  

It's not a gurantee but I think it weed out some of the undesireable.