Incorrect Pricing

Tiffany-Amber0
Level 1
Hidden Hills, CA

Incorrect Pricing

Hello, 

I was looking to book a Cabin for the holidays and found the perfect place However, when I requested to book I submitted all my payment information only to receive a message from the Host: " incorrect pricing". What happens now? The calculations for the price listed are correct and line up with the total including the fees. 

11 Replies 11
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Hello @Tiffany-Amber0 & welcome to ABB CC from across the miles in Auckland, New Zealand.

That's great you have found a place to stay.

Have you sent a message to the Host asking them what the correct price is through your msg system?

It's up to them to also ensure it's the correct price in accordance with their settings.

There are service fees that are paid to ABB & some people charge Cleaning fees etc.

All the best

Have a fabulous holiday.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Once you have messaged the host, if the response is unclear or insistent you pay more, contact Air BNB for assistance.  Unless there is an error in the system, which does happen sometimes which the Air BNB rep can see, the host should honor the price quoted.

Unfortunately the price on the listing went up $100 per night! Seems outrageous. I was aware of the cleaning & service fees those did Not interfere with the price.
The host made it an additional $600 to the price I believed I was booking for the host gave no additional explanation. They just Declined and put “incorrect pricing” as the reason. 

When we reached out to Air BNB chat they were not helpful at all and only suggested links to other cabins. The host originally listed for $310/ night then lowered to $280. Then up to $410/ night AFTER  we requested to book. I felt that was very unprofessional and rude. If she wanted to charge the $310 ok but $410 came out much more. 

@Tiffany-Amber0 

It seems like you sent a Reservation Request declined by the Host.

Unfortunately, Airbnb can't force a Host in this case. So they did the only thing they can do which is suggest other listings. 

Airbnb would only take action in such cases if the Decline raises  a question of discrimination as per ToS.

The only potential sanction on the Host in 'Decline' is if it's done repeatedly, in which case Host receives automated warnings about their Acceptance Rate.

Consequently, if you can't reason with the Host, then just take Airbnb advice and move on.

If there is anything I've overlooked, other contributors will highlight it.

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Tiffany-Amber0 

There is a widespread, ongoing "glitch" in Airbnb's system that is drastically lowering the prices that some hosts have set on their listings, and very often, the first thing the host knows about it, is when they receive a reservation request (or worse still, an Instant Book), at a significantly lower rate than is feasible for them to rent their property at. 

This may or may not be the case here, but there's a very good chance that it is. Best just find a different place. 

I am wondering the same thing.  Air B and b says 1/2 of what I am charging for mine. 

Erica965
Level 1
Calgary, Canada

does anyone have a phone number for Air B and B.  This is ridicuous

Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

Hi @Erica965 🙂

Make sure to turn of instant book until pricing is correct. You can do so under booking settings. I personally wouldn't recommend having instant book turned on as a new host. Better wait until you have a bit of experience. Also Airbnb's pricing suggestions are always far to low, so set your own prices 🙂

Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

@Erica965  

United States and Canada+1-415-800-5959
+1-855-424-7262 (toll-free
Erica965
Level 1
Calgary, Canada

Thanks! I found it and tried calling, but it has been busy. I figured out what they did. My settings defaulted to a 50% discount monthly.  

Does anyone have any suggestions if someone has enquired about my place already when it was listed as a lower price? (it was the monthly rate at air b and b's setting at 50%), but I changed it to 34% discount.  it is the difference of 500

Also, with long term stays, do you charge extra for electricity? How does this work? 

Thanks, 

Liz3506
Level 2
Bristol, VA

I found the setting for monthly and weekly stays. I would rather have someone stay weekly as less in me to clean etc.  I think Airbnb set a 20% discount for guests because I am a new host.  There was also a 10% for refund ability.  I rented for four days at $130 and it clearly wasn’t worth it as they left the house a mess.  So I will look into removing the instant booking. Thanks for heads up.   Live and learn and endure the lumps and bumps.