Inquiry

Inquiry

I have had 2 instances of questions regarding future bookings.  It appears the interested party cannot send an inquiry without picking dates.  So I get what appears to be a booking request, but they only have questions.  Then AirBNB sends me reminders to Accept or Decline, when it is not a real request.  The inquirers tell me they do not see an option to withdraw or cancel their request.  So I end up declining (what is not a real request).  Is there another solution?

5 Replies 5
Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Lucille57 

I just sent you an INQUIRY using the “contact host” function. You can ignore the annoying messages Airbnb will send you. You do not have to accept or decline nor will the dates I was required to choose at random be blocked on your calendar.

If someone sends a REQUEST TO BOOK it is different. Then you should either pre-approve or decline.

I know that all this is confusing and I had to have it explained to me more than once.

The website is needlessly complicated and difficult to deal with, but coming to this forum is an excellent way to learn how to use it.

Good luck and feel free to ask questions and share your experiences.

@Brian2036 @Lucille57    When you receive an Inquiry, there has to be a response message back within 24 hours.    Lucille, you need to reply in the messaging thread to Brian's inquiry.

Pre-approve is only for Inquiries, to create an incentive for the person to make a Trip Request.

Approve or Decline is for Trip Requests.  You are required to choose one or the other option within 24 hours - or ask the guest to withdraw the request instead of declining. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Lucille57  Yes, guests have to insert dates to send an inquiry message. But just because there are dates doesn't make it appear to be a request - requests and inquiries are clearly marked as such.

Laura5022
Level 1
London, Canada

As @Lucille57 mentioned 'The inquirers tell me they do not see an option to withdraw or cancel their request.'  I am one of those Inquirers who had to input dates in order to ask the Host a question.  The Host responded within 24 to my message and the status is 'Invited to Book' however she has asked me to withdraw my request.  I have looked up that process but there is nowhere in the message area that indicates 'withdraw'.  The Host does not want to decline which I gather affects her account some how but I really don't know how I can help her.

@Laura5022 Many hosts get ‘Trip Request’ and ‘Inquiry’ mixed up. An Inquiry is simply a question, but it gets confusing as there are all these features attached such as ‘pre approve’ or ‘decline’ and the need to attach dates, and these are similarities with ‘Trip Request’. But all the host needs to do to satisfy Airbnb is respond within 24 hours. There is no need for you to do anything further either