Toronto, Canada

Is Airbnb illegal in Toronto

Is Airbnb illegal in Toronto 

12 Replies 12
Noon1
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

Thank you for your answer,  

So glad it's not illegal, but I got a letter from the municipal licensing and standards they said they have to come to inspect my house and didn't said much. Is that legal? And did you or anyone know is there a limit of how many room in your house you can rent out or you can rent out your whole house 

We have our own house, considering live in the basement and turn the three bedroom into BNB, is that legal?

Hello

I was searching the legal matter of Airbnb and I came to your posting.

I got the same letter from the municipal licensing officer about investigation of my property.

Can you share your experience about that? What happened after you got the letter?

Hi Angela,

I just recived a letter of violation from the city as well. May I ask how your experice went and are you still hosting?

Thank you

HI Noon,

I just recieved a letter of violations from municipal licensing standards as well.  May I ask how your experience went and did you continue with hosting?

Thank you

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Noon1 and @Li16  Since both of you have many questions about hosting in Toronto, in addition to the information that @Alice-and-Jeff0 have given to you, I suggest you become acquainted with the Toronto Home Sharing Club.  Here is a link to their page.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Toronto-Home-Sharing-Club/gp-p/en_toronto  Good luck!

It most certainly IS illegal!  Bylaws, although not enforced at the present time have been put in place.  There is a rental shortage in Toronto and Air BnB does not help the situation.  Long term renters are not having leases renewed so the hosts can rent out to short term renters.  Neighbors in small, family oriented communities do not want multitudes of tourists overrunning their communities.  Hosts are not paying taxes.  Increasing lack of parking, privacy, trash and noise complaints are also not helping with the plight.  Please keep hotel workers employeed.  Renta a hotel!  Thank you.

@Mafalda15 Short term rentals are not illegal in Toronto. You may not like them, but they are allowed presently. There have been a number of attempts to pass bylaws about it, but none have been successful. Even the bylaws that have been proposed don't make Airbnbs "illegal": it just puts restrictions on rentals.

In my opinion, they should do something about the ridiculous tenancy rights in Ontario if the want to curb short term rentals. Who would want to be a landlord here?

Ray-and-Kate0
Level 1
Toronto, Canada

7-Dec-2017

Today, Toronto City Council has adopted recommendations to create a new bylaw for short-term rental regulations in the City of Toronto

https://www.toronto.ca/home/media-room/news-releases-media-advisories/?nrkey=B543CA0AB2C9493C852581F...

http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2017.LS23.1

Yan3974
Level 1
Toronto, Canada

hello, can someone share the experience with me about the inspection? I received a letter recently too.

thank you very much!

Sylvester18
Level 1
Toronto, Canada

Do any of you know how the new short-term rental TAX in Toronto are collected and paid to City of Toronto? My setting says, AirBnB is doing this. City of Toronto is contacting me about it.