Key broke the lock - host trying to charge €488

Tom746
Level 1
Brighton, United Kingdom

Key broke the lock - host trying to charge €488

Hi everyone!

I recently visited Venice with my girlfriend. I've have used Airbnb about 10 times(ish) now, and even had 2 Airbnbs on the trip prior to Venice. 5* on every trip and think of myself as a very conciencous person.

On our first evening about 7pm, when we put the key in the lock and turned to the right (turns out we were deadlocking it) but instead of coming out the key could not come out and would not then turn to the right or left.

We had to message our host – who was not around, but had to call the person who checked us in, we waited for her to arrive (about 2 hours). A locksmith came and after about 15 minutes pulled the key out of the lock. We were locked out for about 3 hours, got in about 10pm. We thought this was the end of it, but on our last day after checking out recieved a bill over Airbnb for €488!

No information was said to us at the beginning of the stay about the key, and a quick search over old reviews says someone had a 'key issue' in 2016.

The issue has now been escalted to Airbnb and wondering if anyone has any advice as to how I can add additional proof to keep my money? Luckily, I have a video of the key stuck in the lock (the metal casing around the lock is incredibly scuffed, so clearly very old).

Thanks!!

Tom

1 Reply 1
Tom746
Level 1
Brighton, United Kingdom

Unsure if bumping this to the top is the done thing here!