Keyless Entry and Remote Reservations

Mike819
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Keyless Entry and Remote Reservations

Hello All,

I currently used Rently.com to manage my home access remotely.  The support at Rently is good, booking reservation and setting door codes is also easy for guest and staff.  My only issue is that it is not reliable.  I do not get notifications when staff or guest arrive.  Can anyone recommend a service that I could look into.  I looked at behome247, but I hear there is a lot of the same issues and customer service is no good.  Thanks in advance!

Mike M

4 Replies 4

We recommend using eRentalLocks!  http://www.erentallock.com/ 

It may be a little painful setting it up but once it's up and running you will never turn back! You pay for each door lock and the lifetime service with it is 100% FREE. We manage our Airbnb rental remotely and it is just something we cannot imagine living without. 

It looks like a regular door lock with keypad, but it's so much more. You can generate a code for each guest which provides access to the house for specific hours. The door won't work with the code a minute before check-in or a minute after check-out. It also allows the guest to create their own 3-6 digit access code. It works with batteries (we haven't had to change ours in about 1 year now) and does not need wifi or anything else. Check the website for additional details - in the meanwhile, here's an example of the instructions sent to our guests (we boiled it down to a much simpler version because guests reading skills usually goes on vacation WITH themselves). To really make things even less of a hassle we found this amazing service (TOUCHSTAY.COM) for about $70/yr that we use to share the check-in details, but obviously you can use Airbnb pre-saved messaging system if you are more comfortable with that. Touchstay really forces the guest to read things because you force them to read your house rules before they are able to reach check-in instructions haha! Ok here's the sample that gets auto-generated from eRentalLock:

Dear XXX,

Welcome to our property.

Our property is protected by the eRentalLock. To access our property, you need to use the Access Code.

The eRentalLock Access Code is XXX-XXX-XXXX.

The property address is XXX. The Access Code is used to unlock the Veranda.

Your Check-In time is on 09/01/18 [m/d/y] at 10:00 AM, and Check-Out time is on 09/03/18 [m/d/y] at 1 :59 PM.

Following is the operation instructions about how to use the Access Code.

Note: Press the [SCHLAGE] oval button to turn on the keypad backlight if necessary.

USING THE 10-DIGIT ACCESS CODE TO UNLOCK:
1. Enter the above 10-digit Access Code. Each digit must be entered within 10 seconds.
2. After hearing the ascending tone and while the [SCHLAGE] oval button flashing green light, please turn the lock knob within 5 seconds to unlock the door.

CREATE YOUR OWN 3 - 6 DIGIT PERSONALIZED CODE:
1. Choose a 3-6 digit Personalized Code to use during your stay.
2. Enter the above 10-digit Access Code.
3. After hearing the ascending tone and while the [SCHLAGE] oval button flashing green light, immediately (within 10 seconds) press the [SCHLAGE] oval button and key-in the 3-6 digit Personalized Code of your choice, then press the [SCHLAGE] oval button to finalize your own Personalized code.
Note:
a. Each digit must be entered within 10 seconds.
b. If your Personalized Code has been used by other user, you will hear the descending tone and see the [SCHLAGE] oval button flashing red. In this case, please try a new Personalized Code.

USING YOUR OWN PERSONALIZED CODE TO UNLOCK:
1). Enter your own Personalized Code. Each digit must be entered within 10 seconds.
2). Press the [SCHLAGE] oval button.
3). After hearing the ascending tone and while the [SCHLAGE] oval button flashing green light, please turn the lock knob within 5 seconds to unlock the door.

LOCK THE DOOR:
1. Press the [SCHLAGE] oval button.
2. After hearing the ascending tone and while the [SCHLAGE] oval button flashing green light, please turn the lock knob within 5 seconds to lock the door.

Following is the light & sound indication about operation status.

1. CORRECT OPERATION:
The lock will beep ascending tone and flash green light.

2. WRONG OPERATION:
The lock will beep descending tone and flash red light.

3. LOW BATTERY ALARM:
The lock will beep high and low tones alternatively and continuously flash red light after the lock is successfully opened. In this case, please report to us ASAP.

4. ENTER INACTIVE STATE:
The lock will enter inactive state for 30 seconds after entering 3 times wrong code in a row. After the inactive time has passed, the next wrong code will make the lock to enter inactive state for another 30 seconds.

Thank you for choosing our property. Please remember to collect all your personal belongings prior to your check out time as this code will only be valid up to that time and will expire.
Should you have any issues that come up please feel free to contact us.

Sincerely,

Property Owner

@Mike819 if you want to check out what I meant with Touchstay.com, PM me with an email address or phone number and I'll send you a link so you can see how WE use touchstay. Its benefits goes above and beyond and allows guests to have easy access to information that is otherwise really not well organized on airbnb so you will find that guests will stop bugging you with questions about your property that's already ON airbnb. We noticed that questions dramatically decreased after we got Touchstay. For the few in-between questions, we just respond with "See our Welcome Book" for all your questions and ask the guest to let us know if it is NOT in our Welcome Book in which case we just add the info. At some point your Welcome Book will be at 100% and believe me, no more bothers from even the laziest guest! Touchstay allows you to share so much information in a format that is excellent for travelers (i.e. on their phones), including information that is usually blanked out within airbnb conversations. All you do is enter the guest name and phone number in Touchstay and they'll receive a link to a complete menu / Welcome Book. Good stuff!

Mike104
Level 2
Asheville, NC

Does anyone use the "August Home" keyless entry app?  I've tried to contact the company but to no avail.  Typically the system works great, when I approve a guest, August Home immediately sends an email to the guest with instructions for downloading the app.  Occasionally a guest does not receive the invitation app from August.  What I would like to do is have August Home resend/send the guest email with their specific code and app download instructions.  

I would like some advice on how to do this.  Thank you, Mike

Maquoo0
Level 2
Sacramento, CA

Has anyone heard of Aurmur Lock? It's a software that works with your smart locks and auto generates pins for each new guest. It also expires them whenever they check out. They also have a check out button for your home that guest can press when leaving. So if they leave early and hit button, it expires code and then sends a text to you and your cleaning team, that way cleaning team can start earlier. It also has auto texts responses for basic things like welcoming each time a guest checks in and other things. I have not used them, but came across them online. Curious if anyone has tried them or heard of before?