Late check in bad review

Tammy84
Level 2
Oklahoma, United States

Late check in bad review

I had a guy with 6 kids asks for a discount saying $90 was too much for his family of 8 so I offered a discont to be nice. Only to get get a bad review because he couldnt figure out the heat and arrived after 11pm. Then sent me a message "giving me a chance to make it right" basiclly wanted a refund.

No more discounts to be nice.... 

Said they didnt need blankets as they had their own so that sould make the price cheaper after I gave him a discount. He is the 1st to give me a bad review. 

13 Replies 13

@Tammy84, when we first started out, we asked for the top advice to hosts. These were always at the top:

1. No discounts.
  2. No locals.

I'm sorry these people took advantage of your generosity and hospitality.

Did you at least get to give them a bad guest review?

Tammy84
Level 2
Oklahoma, United States

No he was sly he waited for about a week to message me. I always try to be on top of my reviews and he did leave everything just fine. I do believe I may have learned my lesson.  

I do hope he doesnt do that to everyone. 

Branka14
Level 2
Zagreb, Croatia

@Tammy84 it is well known that those who asks for discounts are the worst guests. 

Tammy84
Level 2
Oklahoma, United States

I know this now.  So sad people try to take advantage of you. My prices are very fair I think!

Rene-and-Zac0
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Tammy84 There’s a line from a movie that goes something like “Never fall in love with anything you can’t walk away from in 30 seconds”.

some Host have to negotiate, I get that. I’ve positioned my listing where those guest are not my target. Check my screen shot from a recent exchange with a potential guest. I walk it like I talk it. 

‘You know it’s hard out here for a Host”BC59824D-8F67-43A1-B478-5D47CBBC3B1E.png

Hi Rene & Zac, question did you end up declining this inquiry or just leaving it. Do we get this held against us as host if we decline inquiry? Do they actually block the dates? I have left some inquiries and did not accept or decline just replied back but did not see any blocking of my dates.

Any info would be appreciated Thank you for sharing I like the way you responded as we get these request also. 

Phuong

@Phuong7 It was just an inquiry, so I just respond and ignore the accept-decline part. 

He responded with something else I’ll show you here in a screen shot. I just don’t respond back.

I need ALL of my money. If I’m charging $100 a night? I want $100 a night. No exceptions.

If you have $90 and my price is $100, you’re not staying here at the Hacienda, no matter what. 

I don’t care if you’re on a budget or if you’re a student or you have nine kids and 8 of them are crippled, I want my money. 

I see giving discounts as two fold, one, it cheapens my brand and two, I’m not subsidizing a guest vacation plans. If you have all of this traveling around the world money, then you have MY money. I don’t have the patience or the energy to deal with that craziness. 

If I wanted to be driven crazy, I’d give little Zac half a red bull and a kazoo.

Good Lord!

’You know it’s hard out here for a Host’0FBC7E71-6DA9-4807-857C-6C3F4064A56A.png

@Phuong7 Your calendar is not blocked. My response rating is still %100. 

Tammy84
Level 2
Oklahoma, United States

I just wish there was away to be able to call them out sometimes. Really there were 8 of them wanting something for free. Also he complained that we had stuff in our yard. We have land in the country and I believe what he was complaining about was the area not even by the bunkhouse that has noting to do with the bunkhouse. My dad has a home made log splitter and some pallets of wood near it. 

Really you are renting my bunkhopuse not my land

@Tammy84, hopefully you can be satisfied with continuing to have happy guests who really appreciate your wonderful listing.

The review from these guests will soon be buried and forgotten, smothered by all the terrific reviews you get from the people who know a good place to stay when the see it.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I would imagine most of us have agree to something and then thought why did I do that, best just to move on.

I read his review and looked at his profile, certainly would not worry me. Clearly a bit weird.

David
Ekaterina21
Level 2
Pennsylvania, United States

We have to think about the latest check-in hour...  I put the check-in at any time after 3pm.

( there is a self check-in with a door code). One renter comes in the very late night - about 1 :00 AM night time  and she was accusing me that she got lost in the dark. After that her visit was a nightmare  for me:  she can't read the internet password on the back of my router, the water was not so clear as she wanted, she lost connection during the winter storm( this was all my faults), finally she left all my light and TV on for long , her trash all over the place and left ...

I ve got a bed revew.   Now  I  have  the check-in from 3pm-8 pm.   

@Ekaterina21 I hope you gave her an honest guest review....