Lying and sneaky | How to best deal with the resolution

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Lying and sneaky | How to best deal with the resolution

Hello All,

hope you are well. 

As a host I appreciate the time it saves me when guest puts aside the linen, especially when removing the bed stuff and folding them up neatly.

However, if for any reason there was a stain etc I like to be told as an act of consideration. If I were to stain or break anything, including when staying in an Airbnb I let the host know and offer to pay/replace it. 

Recently I had someone accidentally break the toilet brush and because he offered to pay for it, and was so open I said no. I will look at what else happens during his stay if he is heavy handed/thoughtless or just bad luck but honestly I try to be though but fair- in this business it is a reasonable type of collateral damage.

Obviously not everyone does this and this won’t change but a group we hosted burnt through our linen and destroyed the iron- am guessing they were lazy and decided ironing on their bed is ok *SMH*. Not once did they notify us of this, which we would let go but consider taking some marks off due to the safety hazard. Instead they sneakily removed all linen, leaving it folded and to the side, hoping we would not notice even though I do the washing and ironing myself for this very reason- so not cool. 

Obviously I am not going to be as kind in my reviewing them now but how would you best manage the payment request on Airbnb, if at all! I really hate having to play games as to avoid retaliatory reviews and I have never really needed to claim anything but the way they went about it makes me want to hit them where it hurts (their wallet) plus I really want to vent... otherwise I have been told if I act before venting I am a bit a “cut throat witch” but this is our home and nothing quite gets to me as a liar. Urghhh honestly... some people- they were experienced Airbnb users and honestly a simple text, note whatever would have made this a lot more bearable. So uncool!

Thank you in advance and sorry for the moaning! 

Yadira 

PS- we do ask for a deposit for whole group bookings but Airbnb obviously does not charge this- why not, god knows. Airbnb please change this policy ASAP! Thank you.

D1AB403C-C511-466C-8C6B-48D124574296.jpeg

2 Replies 2
Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Yadira22 I've read before that hosts will immediately review the guest following their stay, hoping that the guest will immediately review them on a positive note. If the reviews are exchanged quickly, then put a claim in for the damages. I say immediately/quickly because don't you need to submit a claim before the next guest checks in?

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Emilia42 

hope you are well and thanks for answering. 
i would normally agree with this but unfortunately by the time we noticed someone else had already checked in. It was so discreetly piled up and hidden that I did not notice it till after having finished air dried it.

This guest was difficult- I wrote instructions in French answering all FAQs, leaving it in the kitchen counter (so obvious) and told her several times about my detailed house manual etc. And all she did was to complain nothing worked, I went in and all was fine. 

On the first night she complained about the neighbor watching tv loud- it was 9:15PM, by UK law quiet hours are 11PM.

I really don’t know! I think given the time a simple review would be enough as Airbnb will probably not agree with my plea. 

So deflated but annoyed right now! 
Thanks anyway! 

Yadira 🙂