Maple ridge BC city bylaws

Amber123
Level 1
Port Coquitlam, Canada

Maple ridge BC city bylaws

Hello!

I am attempting to do some research but can't find any information for maple ridge. 

Do I need a business licence to host?

Thanks! 

8 Replies 8
Jennifer835
Level 2
Surrey, Canada

Just need to be very careful. I am a new host from surrey and there are no regulations in surrey for short term rental as well (nothing written in bylaw). Before I started list my house I even checked some article on news to see if I will be getting into trouble and I did see on BIV quoted surrey planning development department “there is no regulation specifically aiming on short term rental in surrey”. Two weeks after I had my first guest two city bylaw officer showed up at my door and told me someone reported me running illegal bed and breakfast. They told me they will conduct inspection and take further action. After that day I received three letters from them to tell me that I am not allowed even apply business license on my house (RF-G zoning) and I have to shutdown my illegal business and wait for heir inspection. I called city of surrey license office today to ask if they have any regulations on Airbnb and the answer I got was “if we didn’t mention it in bylaw it means we don’t allow it!” I was very upset for this answer because this answer is technically wrong. Seems like they are not really following any regulations themselves. By the way the bylaw offer told me they knew there are lots of Airbnb operating in surrey but they only chase after the one who got reported by someone. I still don’t know who reported me and why. Now I have to cancel all my other bookings and waiting for them to decide my fate. I probably will sell my house if I can’t do Airbnb (too much debts already on the mortgage and also the renovations to make it nice to do Airbnb)! 

Mao

Hi Mao,  I just read your post.  What was the outcome?  

Suzanne Darnell, Mind Matters Wellness

Hi,  so sorry to hear that this happened to you. What was the outcome to your situation? Did the city fine you or only sent you letters to shut down airbnb? Thanks! 

Wendy14
Level 2
Abbotsford, Canada

My sense is that communities like Maple Ridge, Abbotsford will not follow Surreys lead in establishing bylaw restrictions. You can open and close at your whim, so my suggestion is get started and see where it takes you. If you have to complete an entire Reno to proceed you’ll need to check more carefully. A call to city hall should answer your question. 

Monika322
Level 1
Maple Ridge, Canada

Hi Amber123. 

How did it work out for you in Maple Ridge? Any tips for Maple Ridge you would like to share?

Thanks.

Bylaw officer wanted us to close our airbnb in Maple Ridge. She said Maple Ridge does not allow short term rentals

So did you close your Airbnb business in Mapel Ridge?

Hello, Please let me know if you have any information about this area?

Thank you