Max occupancy of Adults vs kids

Max occupancy of Adults vs kids

Our house is listed as a max of 8 total guests. However, this is really designed for 6 adults + 2 kids (there are enough beds for this). 8 Adults has created issues for us (they either complain about the space being too small or make a mess). The issue is we have Instant bookings of 8 adults, and it is difficult to unwind. We could decrease the limit to 6, but then would be filtered out of those groups with kids.
We have also tried to add the below to our listing description, but it does not appear to make a difference.
"Please note there is a max of 6 adults at the cabin. We allow for 8 only when children are present, and families need the extra sleeping space."
Has anyone experienced this issue before? Any good workarounds?

4 Replies 4
Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Brian1963 "Please note there is a max of 6 adults at the cabin. We allow for 8 only when children are present, and families need the extra sleeping space."

What this actually says is that you will accept 8 adults and an unspecified number of children as long as there are 8 adults.

I’m pretty sure you don’t want that.

You can set your maximum capacity at 6 adults, with no more than 8 guests total including children.

Personally I wouldn’t allow more than 4 adults and 4 children, which is going to be bad enough.

I would expect some huge messes, lots of damage, and bad reviews if you object to the destruction.

We don’t accept children anymore because of this, and our insurance wouldn’t cover them if we did.

" You can set your maximum capacity at 6 adults, with no more than 8 guests total including children."

@Brian2036 How do I do this on the platform?  Or are you saying set it to 6, then clarify in the description?  Though, this would still filter out families of 8 who put "8" in the filter.  

This was really helpful, thank you.  

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Brian1963 

As far as I can tell it appears that the “number of guests” box refers only to adults. 

Apparently children don’t count. I have noted in my listing that anyone over 12 will be considered to be an adult.

In another section you are asked to state whether your listing is “appropriate” for children 2-12 or 0-2.