Maximum allowed occupancy

Answered!

Maximum allowed occupancy

Hello everyone,

I recently received a booking for my property for 16 guests. I allow a maximum of 18 so I was very happy and accepted it. She stated that is was a family event and there would be a small party to celebrate her wedding. 2 days ago I received a phone call from the wedding planner telling me that she wold be planning the event for an addition 30 people! I wrote to the guest to get answers and she said it was ok because only 16 people would be sleeping at my villas and the addition 30 would be there for the party.

I asked them kindly to cancel the reservation because I would never accept the booking had I known all the facts. My property will almost certainly be damaged and I would certainly not be able to clean up in time so I would have to block off the next day for all 8 villas. Not fair for me!

Instead of cancelling the booking they are messaging me trying to get me to change my mind. They are now calling me too! I have been very polite so far but I am starting to get frustrated as I would like my property to be listed again so I don't lose the income.

I have flagged our conversation and written to airbnb asking for assistance in cancelling this reservation with no penalties to either parties.

Any one else experienced anything like this? The guest is saying that I am not being fair because I accepted the booking and I am breaking the contract.

Thank you

C

1 Best Answer
Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Caroline1495 

I agree you should cancel this booking. If you call Airbnb they will likely cancel it for you (penalty fee) as the guest was not transparent with their intentions. You need to prevent this from happening in the future by having clear rules and outlining your expectations. For instance, if no more than the 16 people that booked are allowed on the property then you need to state that and explain to the guest that if they are looking to hold a party/event with more people then this is not the place for them. Have a detailed conversation with the guest prior to accepting the reservation so the guest knows exactly what they can and can't do. I agree that is scenario is unfair for you but hopefully you will be able to prevent it from even happening in the future, so that your guests do not feel that you're being unfair either.

View Best Answer in original post

6 Replies 6
Solveig0
Level 10
Lørslev, Denmark

Hi @Caroline1495 ,

Oh no, that's a horrible experience. I don't have a good answer for you as I can see you have parties and events allowed on your listing. Maybe for the future you should specify the conditions, or else remove that option from your listing? 

And for now, if you can't come to a solution, you either will have to cancel the event, or else maybe ask for them to pay a deposit to cover costs and clearning? 

Yours, 

Solveig 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Caroline1495 

I agree you should cancel this booking. If you call Airbnb they will likely cancel it for you (penalty fee) as the guest was not transparent with their intentions. You need to prevent this from happening in the future by having clear rules and outlining your expectations. For instance, if no more than the 16 people that booked are allowed on the property then you need to state that and explain to the guest that if they are looking to hold a party/event with more people then this is not the place for them. Have a detailed conversation with the guest prior to accepting the reservation so the guest knows exactly what they can and can't do. I agree that is scenario is unfair for you but hopefully you will be able to prevent it from even happening in the future, so that your guests do not feel that you're being unfair either.

Do not let them play the guilt trip on you because you have nothing to feel bad about.  The guest was obviously misleading you and on purpose, so if there is a penalty for them, they brought it upon themselves.  Your listing clearly shows what you have to offer.  Cancel them through Airbnb ASAP and and move on.  I know that sounds almost harsh, but considering the potential damage and clean-up, I feel that is your best option.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Caroline1495  The guest is accusing you of breaking the contract? You could point out to her that she broke the terms of the contract when she assumed she could have an additional 30 people in a listing that was booked for 16 and has a max occupancy of 18.

But at this point I'd block her number so she can't phone or text you anymore and get that cancellation happening with Airbnb ASAP.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Just speak to Airbnb and insist they cancel the booking as the guest wants to bring 30 additional guests to your listing contrary to your house rules (I am presuming you don't allow guests who haven't booked and paid to visit). @Caroline1495 

Do not reply to phone calls or texts just confirm all communications stay on the platform.

As a learning, if a guest tells you they want to have a party at your place then contact them straight away to clarify what they mean, how many guests etc, so you can make a decision about whether to accept.

Why are you writing to Airbnb - you need to call them so this issue gets resolved.

Do let us know how it turns out.

When you book your space insurance only covers the guests staying at the property so we always site that when they ask if extra people can come swim in our pool. We just say sorry we can only accommodate the number of people that you booked for.