Minimum age?

Mishi1
Level 2
Myrtle Beach, SC

Minimum age?

Is there a guideline, or law about minimum age for guests to be to book?  I was asked that question by a potential guest, which led me to decline the booking... as I suspected she was underage.  Is there any rule with Airbnb about age requirements?

I am getting requests, and some of the photos look very young!  I do not want to eliminate someone because of a photo, but is thre a way of verifying age?  Verigying they have a phone, and email tells me nothing.

Mishi

16 Replies 16
Dale93
Level 2
Indianapolis, IN

When we first set up our listing, we set a minimum age of 25 because we did not feel that people younger than that generally have the maturity to take care of our property and not trash it.  We recently found a booking where the guest had used Instant Booking and was 20 years old.  Upon contacting Airbnb Support, we found that our minimum age requirement no longer existed in our listing.  We can only surmise that some change was implemented by Airbnb that removed this requirement.  We do not remember if it was a written rule or check box, but it is no longer in our listing.  We have since added it to Additional House Rules and removed Instant Booking.  In the meantime, we are stuck with this guest.

@Dale93  Unless you are in an HOA or building that has a mimimum age restriction, you really can't discriminate based on age. 

There are plenty of guests under the age of 25 who are respectful of the places they stay. And plenty of so-called mature adults who leave a disaster in their wake.