My guest experience: It wasn't so bad but the space wasn't as pictured and it just wasn't that clean

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

My guest experience: It wasn't so bad but the space wasn't as pictured and it just wasn't that clean

So, I just started hosting and I'm very conscious of describing my place accurately as well as making it sparkling clean and ensuring guest comfort. 

I just traveled and stayed at an AirBnb close to the location of the dental clinic I was going to. 

The host was really nice. She's experienced as a host and was very helpful with local tips, directions, etc. However.....the space just wasn't that great. It definitely wasn't as pictured. The pics show a spacious and uncluttered home and guest rooms. The opposite was true. The bedroom was just chock full of stuff- 10 extra pillows on each bed- pictures all over the wall, rugs that would slide out from under you, etc. The bathroom wasn't super clean. There were some dead bugs in the shower and the light in the bathroom was just dismal. Not good enough to apply makeup or even see yourself well. The towels were stained...it had a damp smell. 

I really liked the host and she was welcoming and interesting to talk to, so I'm hedging about the review. She also gets 5 star reviews, which I can't quite figure out. What should I do? I'd like to tell her kindly that she needs to improve a bit with this stuff, and definitely needs to update her pics, but it's touchy. 

I also got the sense that she would know the exact star ratings I give her. This is my first review as a guest. What should I do? Does she actually know exactly how I've rated her? The whole thing is kind of weird but I do want future guests to know what they're in for. 

BTW, I'm NOT a germaphobe or clean freak. I just expected a clean space, some decent light in the bathroom, and maybe less clutter. 

Thanks for your input. 

6 Replies 6
Emily487
Level 10
KCMO, MO

@Kia272 

This is the mirror of what hosts run into. Really nice guests who just aren't clean or reasonable. But no matter what, they really aren't our friends. And as nice as she was, she isn't your friend, either...so don't feel like you can't be honest (though kind) in your review. She will see your stars but that is okay - she needs the feedback even if it's not what she wants to hear. 

Sally, the host, is friendly, kind, and really easy to talk with. I enjoyed having a cup of coffee with her on the porch on my last morning there (or whatever...). The space was quiet different from what was pictured and could use with some freshening up. Once this is done, I think it would be a 5 star stay. You could be a lot more specific but I think that might be too mean to do publicly....

I would offer her some gentle feedback in the "private feedback" portion of your review. 

Sally, thank you so much for hosting me. You really were such a kind host. Because I care about your success as a host, I want to tell you that I was pretty surprised the general musty-ness (or whatever) of the bedroom and bathroom. You may want to speak with the cleaning lady to see about upping her game (even though you know there is no cleaning lady...). 

Thanks so much for your advice. I had already thought of some kind things to say publicly. I hadn't realized that she sees my stars directly. That's what put me off a bit. If the pictures were accurate, it would be a different story- I probably wouldn't have booked. I guess that's what is really bothering me- the lack of accuracy. I know she's not my friend but it's hard....

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Kia272 

This is really hard and I would be/have been conflicted too. We all know how the Airbnb system works. Anything less than a 5 star review is bad. So basically, if you give this host a 4 or less, you are casting your vote to have them kicked off the platform. Which isn't fair but that's Airbnb. At the same time, you should be honest. If it were me, I would be truthful in the written review and private feedback while also listing the positives and I would still give an overall 5 star.

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Emilia42    Thanks for your input. I'm new enough to the system that I hadn't really realized that about the stars. It's a little off-putting for me that she sees how I rate her....but I know that anonymous ratings have their own issues. I don't want her kicked off but I want her to accurately represent her space- musty, dimly-lit bathroom and all. But thanks for the info- that's helpful. 

Your host will see exactly what you see on your hosting profile when a guest rates you. Stars in the 5 subcategories and the overall rating. 

As a guest, you will not see the star ratings that your host gives you. Those are only visible by future hosts you may book with.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Kia272  Kind honesty is best as suggested by both @Emilia42  and @Emily487 .  Your review is your opinion.  Others might not have the same standards and your review will not be seen as negative by some.  Providing both positive and negative details will help another traveler to determine what is important to them.