My host is asking for a picture of ID/Passports.

Ingrid408
Level 1
Milwaukee, WI

My host is asking for a picture of ID/Passports.

My trip is in a week to Cartagena, Colombia and my host is requiring I send a picture of my child and my IDs.  It makes me a little nervous/ uncomfortable. Is this normal?

4 Replies 4
Rowena29
Level 10
Australia

Hi @Ingrid408 

Welcome to the community boards!

I can understand that this makes you nervous.

However, there are a lot of countries that require the host to collect ID  information and submit it to their local authority

Personally I would be reluctant to send photo images of my ID to an individual, but I am not at all well versed with the rules of Colombia.  Some host may be along shortly who is more knowledgeable re this than me and you should be guided by them.  Perhpas one of the moderators like  @Quincy  might also comment

IF you need an answer quickly, if  it were me, I would be inclined to  reach out to the host and share your concerns about sending pics of your ID's becuase of the possbility of fraud. idnetity theft from the internet etc.

I'd say  would be happy to send him the numbers and then present the actual ID on arrival.

YOu could also contact airbnb customer support re this and say you are concerned about identity theft and see what they say?

I suspect the request is honest enough, but you need to feel comfortable.

Good luck

Thank you so much for your help!

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Ingrid408  Showing your ID to the host is also mandatory in Croatia. If you feel uncomfortable to send a picture of your passport or ID you may show it to the host at arrival. If he doesn't have the self-check-in option then it shouldn't be a problem.

You don't have to allow your host to take a photo of your passport, the host can write down all your personal information on the piece of paper and should destroy it after he registers you.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Ingrid408  I get guest IDs as well. Several options: show in person at arrival, black out some part of the ID (like the ID #)... what would work for you & host?

This may be a local regulation, it may be a host who realizes that any part of an ABB profile can be a fabrication and wants to know who is in their space. Those are both more likely than a secret identity theft ring.