Need help figuring out if this place is a scam

Andre439
Level 2
Freeport, NY

Need help figuring out if this place is a scam

Hey I’m trying to host a party, I know the dreaded p-word, somewhere on Long Island New York. I’ve been looking all over and I’ve found a place and a host that will seem to accommodate but.... it’s looks way too good to be true; especially the price. They have some reviews but I’m skeptical  due to fake superhost sticker in profile picture and unwillingness to give a tour beforehand. I know they don’t usually have to but I have been given one before and that would’ve at least eased some suspicion. Please help!

https://abnb.me/nIUCcbrX2Z

5 Replies 5
Solveig0
Level 10
Lørslev, Denmark

If your gutfeeling is  against you, and the guy has a fake superhose badge meaning he's willing to lie about one thing, I'd say to not go for it. 

Mark1357
Level 4
Casa de Oro-Mount Helix, CA

I really dont know?? Reviews look legit....I guess as long as the host is ok with the dreaded P word... Good Luck! 

Alice595
Level 10
Concord, CA

@Mark1357  Reviews are so so. And rating is 4.44 from 17 reviews. @Andre439  It may not be a scam. But definitely it is not a good place to choose for stay. 

Btw, I would not allow a party to be held in my property. When a place is advertised for party use, you can imagine what kind of condition you may expect.

@Andre439 The reviews come from genuine/verified guest accounts which have prior reviews from other hosts. You can be pretty well assured that they're not fake - especially considering that they're not all positive.

The listing is genuine. It has some flaws, to be sure, but it takes a pretty unwise host to accept a request for a party via Airbnb. I don't see the point of requesting a tour when there are already 99 photos on the listing; what you're really doing there is asking the host to take time out of their schedule to do unpaid and unnecessary work.

If you want to be sure your event needs are handled professionally, and that you have an opportunity to tour the location beforehand, Airbnb is the wrong place to be looking. There are many event-rental websites with plenty of locations available throughout New York, which are much better equipped to meet your needs - even if those include overnight accommodation. Why on earth would you rather throw a party in someone else's house in a residential neighborhood? Even if the host promises you the moon, there's nothing he can do to stop his neighbors from getting the party shut down by the cops.

Ann489
Level 10
Boise, ID

@Andre439    the listing is definitely legit.  But given the close proximity of neighbors--I'd be super-careful hosting a party.  You are definitely risking having police shut it down if it gets too loud.