Neighbours concerned about short term rentals through Airbnb

Stephanie1244
Level 2
Oakville, Canada

Neighbours concerned about short term rentals through Airbnb

Hello,

I have started to be a host on Airbnb on my detached home in a family neighbourhood (this is even how I present my home). Over the last month, I've had 4 sets of guests so far who stayed short-term in my basement but do not have enough parking space so they parked in the street (which is allowed). Of course, sometimes, planes get delayed or plans change and some of my guests arrived late.

This morning, my neighbour confronted me and told me that "the whole street" complained about me having guests on Airbnb and that they were concerned for their kids' safety. I tried to reassure him telling him that I had a strict selection process and pointed out that there had been no incidence of any issue since I started but he was trying to intimidate me to back down (criticizing my lifestyle choices, potentially telling me it was illegal, etc.). Airbnb has allowed me to save my home while going through a divorce and without this income, I cannot continue to own it... They want to force me into long-term rental but I like the flexibility of being able to keep my furniture and move back in when guests are not renting. I also now have to apply for a short-term accommodation permit (applies in my town for rentals under 28 days) but I feel like I need to do this in order to be "legit" with my "business".

Has anyone ran into similar issues? Any recommendations on how to handle? This is my home and I don't want to have to sell it to appease them, but on the other hand, I don't want to walk in my neighbourhood feeling threatened or judged.

Thanks for your input!

7 Replies 7
Romana19
Level 2
Prague, Czech Republic

Sousedům do vašeho životního stylu nic není,pronajímáte svůj vlastní majetek a pokud hosté neruší sousedy v době nočního klidu a neničí jejich majetek,nemají do toho co mluvit.Upravte příjezdy svých hostů do 22 hodin a uveďte u svého profilu,že je nutné to dodržet.Víc pro sousedy udělat nemůžete.

Thank you. You are right in the sense that none of my guests had been a nuisance which is why it is quite annoying that they would confront me about this.

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Stephanie1244 was the neighbour who confronted you a man? eta I see you said it was a man. Wonder if he would have said this to you before your separation?

Saying "all the neighbours have complained" sounds like a bullying tactic to me. I bet they haven't all complained.

Surely some of your neighbours come home late or leave early sometimes?

Could you reduce the issue by limiting check-in to reasonable hours?

Getting a permit sounds a good idea.

Thanks for your reply. Him and his family were quite supportive when I separated so being confronted the way he did was quite unexpected in a way (I hate people who hide behind "everybody" and I know for sure it's not the whole street). I pointed out to him that he has a lot of guests all the time and he said it's different because he knows his guests. 

I am working on getting the permit but it's quite costly ($800 to $1000). However, I'm likely to go ahead with this so they have nothing on me if I keep it up.

My check-in hours were 5pm to 10pm as this is when I'm back from work until I go to bed but it is true that most my guests have arrived closer to 10:30 or 11pm so thanks for the suggestion: I can update my hours to show my neighbors that I'm in good faith in trying to compromise so everyone feels more comfortable...

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Him knowing his guests doesn't make them OK people to have around kids or property though.

That's a really rubbish bit of logic.

My experience of being a divorced woman (back in the 00s) was that SOME people want to be kind and nice on their terms and as long as you stay in role.

Once you start to re establish yourself (like earning money to keep the roof over your heads) SOME people don't like it.

I wonder if talking up airbnb's stories about ethos and the vetting of guests would be a good idea amongst your less domineering neighbours?

I often say to people (jokingly) that I think airbnb must breed lovely people somewhere, because all our guests have really been well behaved and most of them charming.

Totally agree with you re:your assessment of SOME people, very disappointing...

Btw, I spoke with my next door neighbors who told me they had no issue with Airbnb and that I should be able to do as I please in my home. So, clearly not the whole street! One told me it's likely because my guests parked in front of his house and it just bothered him.

The bad devastating news is that I tried to apply for the city permit and I don't have enough parking space so I'm going to either have to sell, or move back in and find another way to make ends meet. I was working towards being a Superhost and had made significant investment towards the wellbeing of my guests, which now is for nothing. Plus I loved meeting people from all over the world. I am completely devastated  😞

Kaylee18
Level 10
Hamilton, Canada

@Stephanie1244   Hey Stephanie!

I have noticed lately in the news most neighbours in the GTA are having issues/concerns/complaints about Airbnb guests when it's the entire house being rented (Host does not live on property) and mainly because hosts are not there to deal with issues/loud noise/partying, etc. 

Based on your listings, I assume you rent one house, but with two separate units and you do not live on the property?

My one BIG suggestion (even if you live on the property).. GET CAMERAS! (Nest cameras are amazing). This shows the neighbours you have some type of security (especially if you don't live on the property). And you can use that to tell them "I have cameras and monitor my property while guests are here." 

As for parking. You could always look into paying for a street parking permit for your own vehicle, and leave your driveway open for guests to use. That way you are on the street only taking up one spot. (Not sure the rules in Oakville for permits, but in Hamilton it's only $70 for the full year!) . 

If Oakville has a bylaw that you need a short term accommodation permit then I would definitely get it so you are protected when a neighbour decides to report your rental to the city. 

Best of luck! 🐵