New to AirBnB guest

Therese14
Level 3
Victor Harbor, Australia

New to AirBnB guest

Hi Everyone, I have recently had a number of first timer AirBnB guest requests from people who have signed up with only their first name, no photo, no details about themselves and only a vague area where they live and no reviews. As I am a single woman and I have one room in my home I rent I am a little nervous to accept a total stranger into my home sight unseen. I have been asking them to please give me more info, last name where they work or go to School etc. Some reply others I never hear from again. Isn't there some rules for signing into AirBnB as a Guest?  Other than your drivers license and credit card. ? For me this is just not enough detail. Thank you Maria

10 Replies 10
Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Therese14 Just FYI you will never see a guest's last name or profile picture on a request to book. This information only became available after the booking is confirmed. 

Your best tool is starting a conversation and deciding whether or not to accept the guest based on their communication. 

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Therese14  In addition to what Emilia suggests, you can also require all your potential guests to verify their ID with Airbnb before they can send a request to book with you. This by no means is something you can rely on to ensure a guest is going to be ok to have in your home, but it is another tool in the guest selection process. Any guest who doesn’t want to do this is probably a guest you don’t want. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I wouldn't ask them where they go to school or work, as this is immaterial to them being a guest in your home. The kind of questions you need to ask are along the lines of have they ever been to your area before, what their plans might be while staying (nice to know whether they have plans to be out and about or are going to be working from home and basically around all day), some questions to determine whether they have thoroughly read through the listing description, and are aware of the house rules, etc.

I am also a single woman who lists a private room in my home (although I haven't taken bookings since March due to COVID), I don't use Instant Book, as I want to communicate with prospective guests before accepting their booking, and I've found that the way someone communicates gives much more insight into what sort of guest they'll be than what their last name is.

Some guests send out inquiries to several places, so it's not at all unusual not to hear back from some of them. And if they are put off by you asking a few questions, not understanding why a host would want to know a bit about who they were sharing their home with, then I'd say you don't want them as guests anyway.

@Therese14

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Therese14 

I can see you are a highly experienced host, so certainly you will know that vetting your guests is one of the best ways to ensure they are a good fit with your listing.

I'm sure you've considered this already, but you can set your listing so you only accept guests with photo ID and you can set IB if you use it so that only guests with positive reviews can book with you, others will need to send a request.

I'm a little puzzled as to why it is relevant where they work or go to school? 

Surely your questions should focus on understanding why they are visiting your area, why they chose your place and plans for their stay?

Emily26
Level 2
Harrogate, United Kingdom

Been hosting 8 years 

this year I’ve had guests who have signed up to Airbnb for a cheap room but seemingly are not really Airbnb people. Expect a hotel rather than a home. Anyone else? 

Emily

We have also noticed this same thing. We now no longer accept locals who just need a “vaca”. We don’t need the drama, which is why we are very specific on who we allow.

Therese14
Level 3
Victor Harbor, Australia

Hi Emily, yes I have also had this experience over the years. I used to live in Boulder Colorado sort of a high altitude desert area and one person complained that a bug got into her room. Go figure it is a house with doors and windows. Windows did have screens but yes I said it is summer and there are bugs.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Emily26 @Therese14 @Sarah977 @Colleen253 

I think the STR market is becoming oversupplied, prices are dropping, and some hosts are undercutting the better hotels.

For the same price or even a little more  I would MUCH rather rent a small condo or studio apartment than a 5* hotel. Or any hotel, actually.

I got a booking request from someone about 400 miles away just this morning. Appropriate introductory message, ID verified, no other information on her listing.

I replied, asked her if she was aware that our wilderness property is extremely remote and isolated, and advised her to read the listing carefully and complete her guest profile before booking.

About 15 minutes later she messaged back that she was sure they would be comfortable at our chalet and had updated her profile so I approved her request.

If they were coming from Chicago I would be nervous but since it’s Oklahoma City I think it will be OK.  😉

Probably. Seems like a long drive to spend two nights in the woods but whatever.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Brian2036  " For the same price or even a little more  I would MUCH rather rent a small condo or studio apartment than a 5* hotel. Or any hotel, actually."

A friend who hosts had a guy show up in a brand new Lexus for a booking in the modest, eclectic studio she created in her huge old house. When she answered the door and saw his wheels parked out front, she said jokingly, "Hey man, why'd you book my place, there's high-end hotels in town, ya know".

He laughed and said he travels a lot on business and much prefers homey digs to generic hotel rooms.

Charles224
Level 10
Clare, Australia

@Therese14 I totally understand why you ask about their school..  Victor Harbor is a destination our interstate and overseas friends don't understand.  That said, their line of question suggestions are very valid and worth utilising.

Good luck with everything  !

Cheers, Charles