Nightmare experience with spring breakers

Caro45
Level 1
Miami, FL

Nightmare experience with spring breakers

I had 6 spring breakers arrive.  They were very badly behaved, were drunk everyday until 5 or 6 am and were jumping up and down on the second story of my house (i live downstairs) on the last night they broke a deco concrete table and my son heard them run upstairs after they broke it with one kid jumping up and down in the rain on the table.    I made a claim to airbnb it took four weeks for them to address and the guest then said i had a gun in the back yard.   It was a lie.  They told so many lies.  Airbnb shut my entire business down, even though i have been a superhost for 3 years and last month made over $5000.   Then cancelled all my reservations $2000 to explain about a ficticious gun that these kids made up as a defence to not paying damages and there is nothing i can do.  I have called, i have emailed.  Every two days or so i get a blanket email saying they are looking into the case of me and the weapon.

It's so strange, this girl only had one review, she put 6 people in my house and at the point where they were breaking furniture i moved them out.   

I have to find another solution to airbnb because i can't run my business with this kind of ridiculous logic.   I am looking at roomsters, they take far less money but i dont know what else to do.   IMagine.   

3 Replies 3
Eva785
Level 2
Dallas, TX

So very sorry for your experience.  I am very new to this.  I'm shocked.  I am doing 3, my own home, a second home and a home (well, that's a long story) with a pool (really a lot of stress and trouble). 

I have found really good long term renters for our loft in Dallas, our HOA requires a credit and background check and a big deposit.  That really really makes a big difference.  I have rented previously by advertising on Craiglist "short term corporate" .  My terms are minimum 31 days, as required by my HOA. 

I've had great success with that.  One tip that I learned on ezlandlord.com is that always charge for the credit application (let them pay and if they qualify deduct it later).  Someone that doesn't or can't pay $35 may have issues, not necessarily so, but if it's your own home and source of extra income, it's better to be safe. 

I like AirBnB but it's great when it's great, but boy, when it goes bad, yup, it's awful.  I'm already losing sleep. 

I'm surprised to see no responses either.  A little disappointed about that.  

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Caro45 

Below is the recent case of a long-term superhost who was also delisted on foot of a defamatory review by a guest, who falsely claimed there was a gun on the property. The guest took both Airbnb and the guest to court - and won. 

https://youtu.be/WgGngGlCBnw

https://youtu.be/oIrFlISFC1w

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Caro45 

Some of the comments made by the judge in the case against Airbnb... 

"This investigation was fraud"

"This investigation was bogus"

"Airbnb owes you an apology"

"It's not right, what Airbnb is doing"

"If you want people to bring you to court, do what you did to her"

"This woman has been making money for you, and being a Superhost... and then all of a sudden, you don't even want to talk to her??"

"I think it's wrong for Airbnb to have anyone sign that (the Terms of Service). I really do"

"Airbnb needs to at least tell the truth. Tell the truth!"

"If not done, we're going to hold them in contempt of court"