Number of people staying

Answered!
Denise1415
Level 2
Buderim, Australia

Number of people staying

Hi 

I am new to hosting and have a 2 bedroom unit.  Is it possible to charge different amounts depending on if someone wants to just book for 1 bedroom compared to 2 bedrooms. Many thanks

Top Answer
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Denise1415  Yes, you can charge a base amount for 2 people and  an extra guest fee over that. But if people only want one bedroom, it's best to lock off one of the bedrooms, because the guests may use both beds, so you have the same amount of bedding and cleaning to do as if you had 4 guests in 2 bedrooms. And if you lock off a bedroom you have to make this arrangement clear in your lusting and in messaging to guests.

Another way to work it is to have 2 listings, one for 1 bedroom (with the other locked off and the ad saying it's a one bedroom) with a max of 2 guests, and one for both rooms with a max of 4. You have to then link the calendars so if one option gets booked, the other becomes unavailable. 

The second option might be more straightforward as you aren't screwing around with extra guest fees. But I've seen hosts use either of the above strategies.

View Top Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Denise1415  Yes, you can charge a base amount for 2 people and  an extra guest fee over that. But if people only want one bedroom, it's best to lock off one of the bedrooms, because the guests may use both beds, so you have the same amount of bedding and cleaning to do as if you had 4 guests in 2 bedrooms. And if you lock off a bedroom you have to make this arrangement clear in your lusting and in messaging to guests.

Another way to work it is to have 2 listings, one for 1 bedroom (with the other locked off and the ad saying it's a one bedroom) with a max of 2 guests, and one for both rooms with a max of 4. You have to then link the calendars so if one option gets booked, the other becomes unavailable. 

The second option might be more straightforward as you aren't screwing around with extra guest fees. But I've seen hosts use either of the above strategies.

Many thanks - I'll pop on to see how to link calendars after I set up the other listing.

Michelle1164
Level 10
Clearwater, KS

@Denise1415  We have 2 listings. One is for 1 bedroom and one is for 2 bedrooms. Feel free to take a look at my profile and check out our 2 listings to see how I set them up. It’s simple and straight forward. The price listed is what the guest pays plus Airbnb fees. No hidden cost in per person fees. I decided I didn’t want to mess with a per person fee after reading lots of posts on this forum. Hope this helps. 

“It’s not where you go, it’s who you meet along the way.” Wizard of Oz
Joelle43
Top Contributor
Cannes, France

@Denise1415 Hello, like you I have a two bedroom apartment and started last summer with Airbnb.  My first guests were a couple so I assumed they would use just the one bedroom - wrong! ( Both bedrooms are always made up and I don't have a lock on the door so closing off a room doesn't work in my case.)

When I went to the apartment after check-out I was surprised to see that both beds had been used but having said that they were quite entitled to as I do not have a pricing policy for 2/3 or 4 guests.  Flat fee just for the whole place.  I figured that people will say they are two and then sneak extra people in to save on costs and then you have the problem of people sleeping on unmade beds etc

So two listings @Michelle1164  sounds great as long as you have locks on your bedrooms doors - didn't think about that when we renovated;)

I live and learn all the time with Airbnb;)

Michelle1164
Level 10
Clearwater, KS

@Joelle43 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Yes when someone rents out one room I lock the 2nd bedroom and put a do not disturb sign on the door. When I have guest I flip the sign over and write a welcome message to them. Some guests have even written a note back before they leave as there is a small basket hanging by the door with chalk and rag to wipe off the board. 

“It’s not where you go, it’s who you meet along the way.” Wizard of Oz