OTP Code vertification

Ellie-Wong0
Level 1
Seremban, Malaysia

OTP Code vertification

Hello,

I would like to ask why using debit card or credit card we no need OTP code from bank also can make the payment to house host? This will let our card be in a non security situation and airbnb can simple use our card make any payment?

2 Replies 2

Indeed ! 

@Ellie-Wong0 you're right. 

In certain countries, like in South Africa, a Airbnb payment is considered as an international payment.
We have experienced this lately : Whilst trying to book an appartment in South Africa via Airbnb, our bank (FNB Bank in South Africa !) said that we were trying to pay Airbnb on a UK account.

And as part of their fight against web frauds, they advised that the Airbnb website wasn't safe cause it doesn't generate a OTP number when you make a payment with your bank card.

Numerous clients pay with their bank cards on Airbnb (I remember it is the only way to pay for a listing reservation), but have issues with their country's bank restrictions regarding international payments - Their bank trying to protect their account and money as much as possible, it's normal.

As Guests and Hosts (From my part, i am both) We need solutions from Airbnb to this issue.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Ellie-Wong0  When you pay for a booking on Airbnb, you are not paying the host- the host has no access whatsoever to your credit or debit card nor are they shown any card information. 

You are paying Airbnb and they can only charge the amount of your booking- they can't just start randomly charging your card- that would be highly illegal and as a big publicly-traded company, they would not be able to get away with that.