Parties/Gatherings/Events violations

LaToya16
Level 2
Atlanta, GA

Parties/Gatherings/Events violations

Hello,

I need advice from experienced host.  I continually have guest that violate the no parties/gatherings/ events rules. One guest booked for 3 and ended up with 15 people there; she racked up $800 in damages which she paid the remaining balance today.

Another guest he didn’t violate that rule but he left vomit all over the toilet, ruined the towels, candle wax on my couch and smoked weed all over the place and didn’t want to pay.

Another guest did violate the no gathering rule by hosting a family reunion/ thanksgiving feast.  He didn’t want to pay anything but settled on $250 to pay at a later date. 

I have a guest currently hosting something according to my neighbor. Im trying to figure out how to approach it once he check out. 

Also, how do you handle missing items such as stealing towels and pillows. It’s crazy people steal things like this. 

Thank you all for the help in advance. 

10 Replies 10
Annette215
Level 3
Nashville, TN

Hi, very sorry that something like this is happening. Unfortunately, a lot of it depends on the cost of the rental and the lower the price In big cities the more likely it becomes to have some issues. With that being said, do you have a camera at your front door? I would suggest that you have a Ring installed so you know exactly who is coming and going and atleast that will give you a chance to address it early on. As far as towels and things you can submit through reimbursement through Airbnb and also only leave enough towels and things for the people that booked. None of this is a perfect solution but I hope it helps!

Thank you.

I do have two cameras, the ring and one over the garage.  I also have one inside i the kitchen that’s identified in my profile and welcome email. I don’t think guest actually read that it’s there.  

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@LaToya16   You already have the cameras so you could make mention of this to your guests once they book, like say an FYI, to help protect you and ensure everyone's safety I want to remind you of XX cameras.  You could also put in your rules about a security deposit that will be forfeit if anyone breaks the rules [airbnb will probably not enforce this, but it might serve as a deterrent since not all people will realize it isn't a real deposit].  If you don't have it in your rules you should add that no one except guests on the reservation are allowed on the property w/out your permission...this will make it clear that 'gatherings' are also not allowed.

I'm never sure about things that go missing, if people really stole them or if maybe they damaged them and thought 'disappearing' the item would be easier to defend.

Hi,

Thank you for your response. I see the fee in my description doesn’t matter. The support team said that if the guest does not agree with the smoking fee that they can’t charge their card. In order for AIRBNB to do so I’ll need to provide receipts that i got the home deodorized. I like your suggestions though. I think I’ll revisit my profile to make some edits. 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Your listing is quite nice, upscale.  You are very clear in your listing about parties, etc.  I am confused by the statement that your house has a maximum of 8 but in your description you allow 10.  Where do the other 2 people sleep?  You have 3 reviews and have stated problems with 3 guests, so I gather you have had 3 more guests that were problematic and also did not leave any reviews.   Hopefully you reviewed these guests honestly.

What is your vetting process for your guests?  Do you accept unreviewed or negatively reviewed guests?  You allow minimum of a single night which has been linked to party houses especially when not located where people are passing through.  Such a large home with a minimum of 2 nights will attract fewer parties and more large families.

Are you remote when your home is booked?  If so, you need to have a co-host who can address any issues during the stay of the guest, not afterward.  

Hello,

Thank you for reviewing my listing and giving me honest feedback. I must of changed it to 8 and need to update the description. I just started in October and I’m on my 7th guest now. The three “problem” guest did not leave a review. I most certainly left them one. 

I do check out their reviews, most of the time they don’t have any. I don’t necessarily vet them but maybe I should. I ask the standard questions such as “what brings you to Atlanta etc, how many guest will actually be in the home rather they’re visiting or sleeping over and how many vehicles”. 

I think I’ll change the price and add minimum of a 2 night stay. However, i haven’t had anyone stay one night. 

I live downtown, 15 minutes from the location. 

1. Lower your maximum guests. Do you really want that many people? And why?

I have 3 bedrooms and we are allowed 7 by the city but I set it at five to accommodate families. I mostly get groups of four or less so I charge extra for a fifth person and turn down requests for more than that. Same revenue, less wear and tear on your property.

2. Some people enroll in Airbnb via Facebook so see if you can find research new guests.

3. Make it clear in your welcome note that ONLY guests listed on the reservation may visit without prior approval. 

4.  My house rules state damage is billed at replacement cost. If they stay they agree to the rules.

5. I tell people without prior review to contact me before booking.  All guests are asked to tell me  a bit about themselves and why they are coming to town.

6, I only allow locals in rare situations. 

and definitely yes to two night minimum.

I think the problem is Airbnb has really set the bar low for guests.

@LaToya16   Glad you are close by so you can personally attend to issues.  If confronting a guest is scary  especially if you are addressing possible party, engage the help of a friend to come with you.  

Vetting an unreviewed guest is a skill that you acquire as you gain more experience, especially when you have negative experience.  When I respond to a booking request from a newbie, I put a couple of sentences in my hello message that relate to two issues of importance for me - sharing space and the presence of a dog.  I ask for the guest to confrm they understand.  I am not only looking for the confirmation, but I am looking at how they respond. Good guests quickly respond and usually show good humor in the message.

For you, a hello message could include a short message such as, "I see you are new to Air BNB and want to ensure my listing meets your expectations.  First of all, I welcome registered guests but do not want additional daytime or overnight guests on the premises.  Also, you understand and agree that you are not to host a party on the premises.  Let me know if this is your understanding as well.  Thank you!"  Look for an enthusiastic agreement and do not approve someone with a surly response.  Hope this helps.

Emily487
Level 10
KCMO, MO

@LaToya16 

What a nice listing.

I encourage you message the next guest if you or the neighbors notice anything unexpected. Most guests are great and those that are having a party/gathering do so because they don't think that you will notice or will be too nice to say anything-

Suzy Q,  I hope you are enjoying your stay. My security camera logged some unusual activity and I noticed that there are 54 cars in the backyard/three naked men climbing a tree/a bouncy house set up in the front yard and I want to remind you that we do not host large, loud, or disruptive gatherings. I need any additional visitors to be sure to follow house rules, park on the street, and leave by 10pm (or whatever your house rules regarding visitors state). Touch base to let me know that you received this and let me know if you have any questions! If I don't hear back from you I will swing by to check on things and we can talk then. Thanks! LaToya. 

Because different people have different ideas of what a party is, I added a house rule to my listing that states "no large/loud/disruptive gatherings, no more than 8 people on the property including booked guests, all visitors must follow house rules, park on the street, and leave by 10 pm." For me, thas been really helpful in maintaining a quiet AirBnB and happy neighbors. 

LaToya16
Level 2
Atlanta, GA

Hi Emily!

Very funny response but informative as well! I like you’re approach it’s very specific and doesn’t leave room to interrupt things their own way.