Photo ids

Stephen341
Level 2
Ocean City, MD

Photo ids

would like to know how everyone feels about this event. My guest shows up with more people then the 7 booked. Says they are only visiting and will not be staying overnight. I ask the guests who are going to be staying for their photo id so I can make copies so I can identify who is staying. They contacted airbnb and said they feel uncomfortable with me having copies of their Id. Airbnb says if it was not listed as a requirement I will have to tear them up. I feel I have the right to know who is staying in my property with it or without it being stated on the site. Opinions please  Also this is a group of 19 and 20 year olds.

3 Replies 3
Jonathan6
Level 10
Mamaroneck, NY

You can't make up conditions after the booking, do you say that they can not have guests at the unit?  Do you say that you need a photo ID of every person that enters the unit?  How would you feel if you went to a store went to make a purchase with cash and then the clerk says I need a copy of your drivers license?  You would be upset too.  If there was a sign at the door of the store saying all cash purchases must be made with photo ID that would be understandable, but not after the fact.

It's a learning experience, add conditions to your listing so everyone is on the same page, shame on your guest if they don't read it, but shame on you for asking for something after the fact.

Stephen341
Level 2
Ocean City, MD

Then I guess since they showed up with more people I should of cancelled the reservation and kept their money. Those extra people I can guarantee they are sleeping there tonight.

Kaylee18
Level 10
Hamilton, Canada

I would say you definitely do not have the right to ask for their ID, but you 100% have the right to not allow them on the property if they were not part of the original booking. 

Always contact airbnb before you make any decisions involving asking people to leave because they will reach out on your behalf and speak with the guest to try and resolve the issue. And in this case they most likely would have asked the 2 guests who were not on the booking to leave.