Plumbing Fiasco

Cherie3
Level 2
Cocoa Beach, FL

Plumbing Fiasco

We had a group of young women and their mothers for spring break.  During their visit we had a massive plumbing fiasco that backed up and flooded a bathroom, hallway, and two bedrooms with sewer water.. very unpleasant.  It was quickly evident that many flushed tampons were the culprit.  This was further evidenced by the plumbers assessment after he arrived to snake the house in an effort to identify and remove the blockage.  

In mid-fiasco, I looked for an alternate place for our guests to stay as the house at that point was not habitable.  Everythibng was booked over spring break and there were no lodging alternatives.  The weather was changing and the forcast was rain, so they decided to cut their visit short and return home a day early.  I opted to refund the last day of their stay and I dont regret doing that...its just frustrating.  Isn't it common knowledge not to flush feminie hygeine products.. Do I have to post a sign to protect myself from this happening again... do I have a recourse against their security deposit...

What would you do

3 Replies 3
Donna15
Level 10
Delft, Netherlands

If you have a Security Deposit, I believe it's possible for you to charge the cost of plumbing repairs against that. I'd suggest doing it as quickly as possible. I believe you also need to provide AirBnB with receipts of damage, and also maybe photographic evidence of the damage.

It's possible as well that the situation could be handled by way of the Resolution Centre. 

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/General-Hosting/The-Resolution-Center-A-Community-Help-Guide-Request...

(My own feeling is that you were being overly generous by refunding any money. The guests after all were entirely responsible for the unpleasant situation.)

And yes, it's essential to have very clear guidelines in the House Rules.

They're sent automatically to guests when a reguest is responded to. House Rules should also be placed somewhere clearly visible in the accommodation.

AnthonyandAlicia0
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

Based on your experience, I'll be posting a little sign by the toilet that reads: "flush toilet tissue only."